What do you consider "gimmick" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, from a marketing perspective, a gimmick is a "special feature" whose main/sole purpose is to attract attention. So essential a gimmick is something that exists simply "to be a special feature" without much functional relevance.

Accordingly I'd say things like... the 6-8 superfluous plastic D rings on recreational BCDs, anything made out of titanium, and anything with the word "Deluxe" in its name.

:D

Inline octos
Head-mounted video cameras
Helmets while diving open water
Gaiters
Heated vests
Scooters in open water
Rattlers and any other noise makers
Electronic compass
Retractors
Hose wraps
Slob winder

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on what you consider useful. What adds comfort, enjoyment or security/safety to your gear choice is up to you and is a "PERSONAL PREFERENCE".

To some less is better to others more or higher tech is better. Which is correct ?

The one that fits your needs and makes you a happy diver!

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Inline octos
Head-mounted video cameras
Helmets while diving open water
Gaiters
Heated vests
Scooters in open water
Rattlers and any other noise makers
Electronic compass
Retractors

Heated Vest: easily one of the greatest inventions in diving in the last 20 years. They've made dives warmer, more comfortable and safer. But you might not get it until you've done 5 hours of deco while freezing your butt off.

I guess it all depends on what you consider useful. What adds comfort, enjoyment or security/safety to your gear choice is up to you and is a "PERSONAL PREFERENCE".

To some less is better to others more or higher tech is better. Which is correct ?

The one that fits your needs and makes you a happy diver!

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear
i don't know what's correct, I'm not sure there is a "correct".
I just wanted to see what different people think is a gimmick.

i don't know what's correct, I'm not sure there is a "correct".
I just wanted to see what different people think is a gimmick.

The answer there is no right or wrong, or maybe some might see something as a gimmick while others view it as useful. It will be this way because we all have many different tastes.

"One mans trash is another mans treasure" comes to mind.

In other words, anything with an "elevator lever"
Technically an AirTrim is 2 buttons. But yeah, anything that takes the basic simple inflator concept and "enhances" it with a system of levers, linkages, custom dump valves etc to simply ascend/descend. And requires proprietary service from a mfr. trained tech. I'm guessing that costs a little more than the two cable ties and $25 it costs to replace mine were I too lazy to flush/service it.

Thigh pockets stuffed with all kinds of crap on basic rec dives.
pneumatic spear guns
6 window masks
tank nets
mask straps with pictures on the back
artificially aged brand new BC's to make them look old and vintage
deluxe harnesses for "minimalist" BP/W setups (oxymoron)
can lights with 50 million lumens of power so you can catch things on fire underwater

Heated Vest: easily one of the greatest inventions in diving in the last 20 years. They've made dives warmer, more comfortable and safer. But you might not get it until you've done 5 hours of deco while freezing your butt off.

Agree, I have a heated suit and it allows be to dive year round. Prior to the heated vest I was almost always cold. It's increased my joy in winter diving exponentially. Personally I wouldn't classify it as a gimmick. It has a purpose and fulfills a need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom