What do you consider "gimmick" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank valve indicators - There is just no justification for them

:)

I think anytime you start to add features above a minimalist configuration you have to ask yourself if it is really needed or just a gimmick. At one time a BC was a gimmick to most.

I think I am getting the jest of what Erick is getting at. It is quite interesting and funny how we all have our own view of what is a gimmick to us. Yet just as quick as we are to declare something is a gimmick someone quickly comes to defend it as useful.

Oh what the heck here's one more to add to the gimmick list, Mask with purge valve. It gets to be super painful under the nose,after 30 minutes.

I think I am getting the jest of what Erick is getting at. It is quite interesting and funny how we all have our own view of what is a gimmick to us. Yet just as quick as we are to declare something is a gimmick someone quickly comes to defend it as useful.

Oh what the heck here's one more to add to the gimmick list, Mask with purge valve. It gets to be super painful under the nose,after 30 minutes.

I've used a mask with a purge valve for over 15 years of diving and have had no problems with it and it's easier to clear. It's an Ocean Master design with the Q strap. So there you go again, it's a personal preference not a universally accepted gimmick.

The Freedom Plate :wink: Just kidding Eric, but I am sure some will classify it as a gimmick.

BC inflator/octo combination...
I don't see combining 2 separate useful pieces of equipment into one useful piece of equipment as being a gimmick. To me that is just good engineering.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Back
Top Bottom