What do you consider "gimmick" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to see gimmicky just look a the evolution of the automobile. Pretty soon we won't even have to drive if we don't want, then it will become that they won't let you drive on a public road because we will have become so incompetent at driving from no practice that nobody will be trusted. The only people that will really benefit are the blind and severely disabled (which is a good thing).

Maybe some of the 32000 people who die each year on the road, in the USA alone, might benefit?

U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Decline in Traffic Fatalities in 2013 | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Yes that is true.
But how many of those people died because of human error that could have been avoided.
Drunk/intoxicated, poor vehicle maintenance, poor driving skills, distracted, etc.
I was thinking of the visually or severely physically disabled because they can't operate a vehicle at all.
But maybe the side benefit of self driving cars will be that the bars will fill up again. I suppose many people would be thrilled with that.

But maybe the side benefit of self driving cars will be that the bars will fill up again. I suppose many people would be thrilled with that.

Starting with bar owners.

Bob

The Freedom Plate :wink: Just kidding Eric, but I am sure some will classify it as a gimmick.

Oh Heeelllllll no. Greatest thing ever invented since the scuba tank. [emoji3]

Any Octo holder other than the 50c rubber band ones. Every other design is overly complicated to use, doesn't work but some look cool (but still don't work worth a dam)

Colors are useful when the 3 of you have same/similar setups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LoL - integrated weights.

pneumatic spear guns
Hey, what's up with that?

I see it a little differently. I would prefer more independent failure points because the chances of having 2 independent failures, at the same time, is much less than having one. From a engineering standpoint, having components in a "series" configuration poses a greater risk to the whole system, compared to having the components in a "parallel" configuration. Most everyone is familiar with a "series configuration" because of the older style Christmas lights. You lose one bulb, the whole string goes dead! I much prefer parallel configurations, but maybe that's just because I'm an engineer. Mathematically speaking, parallel configurations are theoretically more reliable because of the probabilities involved. But if people want to use combo units, that's really none of my business. To each his own!

:)
Your analysis is kinda over-simplified. Not all failure modes with parallel configuration are independent (well really the fault is in calling them parallel in this case, they're not they both share the same primary regulator and air supply), and there can be failures of one integrated function that don't affect the other (octo free flows - disconnect the LP hose and you still have inflator function).

I personally regard the integrated octo as one of the great leaps forward in scuba technology. IMVHO the octo is a solution in search of a problem, and integrating it at least keeps it better managed.

Not all failure modes with parallel configuration are independent (well really the fault is in calling them parallel in this case, they're not they both share the same primary regulator and air supply), and there can be failures of one integrated function that don't affect the other (octo free flows - disconnect the LP hose and you still have inflator function).

True, however the inflator and octo, in a combo unit is in series. AKA inflator and octo coming from one hose vs 2 independent hoses. One could argue that they aren't independent because they come from the same tank, but that's missing the point. With the point being: What is going to happen if your inflation hose has to be disconnected? You are going to lose your octo. This is an unsafe situation for your buddy...now he has no spare air source at all. You need to call the dive immediately. Simply losing your inflator, and your inflator alone, is not a potentially life threatening situation.

I personally regard the integrated octo as one of the great leaps forward in scuba technology.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion as are you! I personally regard them as an unnecessary safety hazard. But, that's just me! :) Well, maybe not just me but anyway. :)

Perhaps this is just me, but a few years ago a wetsuit company came up with this basic design and encouraged people to choose suit panels in their favourite colours:
design_your_own_custom_wetsuit.jpg
More like a clown's outfit, but there again, more and more wetsuits and drysuits nowadays seem to have been designed by makers of Harlequin costumes. What's wrong with suits in solid colours?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom