What do you do for exercise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering how many divers swim laps for exercise- not necessarily to dive better, but for just general exercise. I know that is a tough question w/o an answer.
So I will just ask- what do you do for execise?
Personally, I jog 3 times a week, 3-5 miles a pop depending on the temperature. Sometimes I will throw in some power walks for good measure on down days.
I like to swim laps but it hurts my neck. I never learned to swim properly, with my head down, so I get killer cricks in my neck. Had a girlfriend who was a swim instructor and she worked with me for 2 months and I never could get that head down. Maybe I will re-try with my snorkel, now that I have one.

I stretch the truth, stretch my money, jump to conclusions, push my luck, pinch pennies, race deadlines as they fly past, do my best to keep my head above water, and I often run. I run out of money, I run out of time, and run out of patience. No wonder I'm always so tired, sore, and broke. :D

I was wondering how many divers swim laps for exercise- not necessarily to dive better, but for just general exercise. I know that is a tough question w/o an answer.
So I will just ask- what do you do for execise?
Personally, I jog 3 times a week, 3-5 miles a pop depending on the temperature. Sometimes I will throw in some power walks for good measure on down days.
I like to swim laps but it hurts my neck. I never learned to swim properly, with my head down, so I get killer cricks in my neck. Had a girlfriend who was a swim instructor and she worked with me for 2 months and I never could get that head down. Maybe I will re-try with my snorkel, now that I have one.

I row between 6800 and 6900 meters per day (approximately 4.2 miles in 30 minutes).

I'm up for swimming laps for the sake of swimming laps

I can't run anymore, a bad knee. So, I walk a lot. Three times a week I walk the mile to a fitness center, do the weight machines for about a half hour, do a fairly good cardio workout on an elyptical machine, and then walk home. On the weekend, I usually do a five mile hike on a trail that runs through the woods around the county sports park next to my neighborhood. The fitness center is in the indoor sports complex that is part of the county park.

I have a bad back. Or, at least I used to until I starting swimming laps freestyle using bi-lateral breathing. Breast stroke isn't good for your back and nor is coming up for breath on one side every time. It takes a little time to get used to, but when you think of it, your movements are balanced. Go slowly, so you don't get out of breath, and as you get in better condition you'll find that it is an efficient way to swim

I let my wife watch me flip channels on the big screen TV. :)

And after that I sometimes convince her to go on a walk with me. I used to swim laps, but geez that got boring. Then I got a treadmill, but that got boring, too, plus our treadmill is pretty noisy. Now it's outdoor walking and beach diving, which, due to surf entries/exits and climbing the stairs from the beach to the street and then to where you parked your car, all while carrying your full gear and extra water can be a fair workout!

I play racquetball 2-3 times per week, and am in the pool 2-3 times per week. In the pool, I swim, run, and do some aerobic exercise. I was a football player, and most things can really get to my joints. When I'm in the pool, it gives me constant resistance and also keeps pressure off my joints. I've found it works really well.

To keep from getting bored I play guitar while waiting between sets on the B Flex.

Swimming is my main form of exercise. I love to swim, it's almost like it's not exercise. I can be completely stressed at the end of the day with a killer tension headache - I can zone out while swimming and my headache will disappear.

I swim laps 5 or 6 days a week, 1.5 miles each day. I also swim using the bilateral breathing method - it's much easier on the neck.

Back
Top Bottom