What do you do to help our oceans/waterways?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Is run-off the biggest problem Bob?
In Puget Sound, it's huge ... because the waterway is essentially a big "bottle" with a fairly small opening. It takes a while for the water to "flush" ... and the further south you get (i.e. the closer to the bottom of the bottle) the worse the problem becomes.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I support several wildlife orgs...the nature conservancy and the ocean conservancy...
I write letters to those powers that be...wether federal, state, local or business.
I recycle and encourage others to do the same...
I try my best to eat my seafood that is sustainable and environmentally friendly and I talk with others about it as well.
I also pick up when diving in local waters...usually beer cans.

Reef check...hmmm that sounds like fun...how do I find out more about them?

Other than my political activities, I produce a daily cable TV show on the marine environment, write a weekly newspaper column on the same subject, produce educational DVD's and give talks to various organizations. I also serve as the "resident marine biologist" on my LDS' dive boat to answer customers' questions about marine life and issues.

What a question!
First, let me say that I live a long ways from the ocean. That doesn't keep me from being involved. Here are a few things we can do...
1) I'm a teacher. That means I get the chance to show children some of the wonders and issues concerning the seas and oceans. Shaping young minds about vital issues is a great opportunity to influence the future.
2) I volunteer with NOAA and the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary. We conduct science expeditions, gather data, perform species counts and monitor the GOM.
3) As a sanctuary volunteer, I get the opportunity to give presentations using extremely current data and images from the NMS (much of which I get to collect firsthand). For example, this past weekend we conducted "virtual dives" at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Expo in Austin, Texas. HUGE numbers of kids, but there were lots of adults, too. Most didn't even know there WAS a coral reef environment in the Gulf...now they do. Next month, I'll be presenting workshops at the Conference for the Advancement of Science Teaching in Wichita Falls, Texas. Six thousand science teachers will be there.
4) I also conduct REEF surveys when I can.
5) I stay current about how human activities can impact the ocean environment.

Okay, this is not to thump myself on the chest or pat my own back. But it proves that one doesn't have to be Jaques Costeau to have an impact. If a "flatlander" from the prairie can get involved, then anyone can.
"We love what we understand, and we protect what we love." If we can get more people to love the oceans, then we'll stand a much greater chance of preserving them for the future.

I think it behooves us all to look at how we can limit the impact on the environment through our daily lives and actions.

Whilst some the actions in the previous posts are to be commended, I can't for the life of me see how anyone can square conservation of the marine environment with consumption of seafood (or for that matter any animal, since factory farming contributes greatly to the overall pollution problem).

To say that you'll eat species X but then campaign to save species Y (saving whales are very much in fashion ATM), seems like rampant speciesism to me.

PS I also dive with respect and try to limit my own personal environmental footprint.

I always pich up trash when I come accross it. I also like to pull up as much fishing line as I can find tangled in the reef. I have pulled a lot.

I also pick up trash I see along with that unsightly lost scuba gear :D

Something else that is a little less tangible, I share my pictures with a lot of non-diving friends and co-workers. I truly believe that it gets their attention and makes them think about what is in the water even though they do not dip their toes in. Several have used my pics as screen savers at work. (The GW seems to be the most popular).

Any social event I go to seems to end up in a scuba discussion...wonder how that happens?...and I am sure my enthusiasm comes through. I am certain we all contribute the the education of the non-diving masses. Can't hurt.

I cannot understand why there are still people killing whales and dophins! It is one thing to dump your motor oil in the storm drain (ignorance/stupidity/blind detachment) but to knowingly and continually end the lives of such magnificent creatures for profit...that's a crime. (Norway, Japan, others....)

Jon

bradshsi:
Whilst some the actions in the previous posts are to be commended, I can't for the life of me see how anyone can square conservation of the marine environment with consumption of seafood (or for that matter any animal, since factory farming contributes greatly to the overall pollution problem).

Wild-caught seafood doesn't contribute much in the way of pollution.

As for aquaculture, the pollution footprint is directly tied to the intensity type. Extensive-type aquaculture is relatively pollution free.

Conventional agriculture pollutes heavily too. Cornfield runoff is a prime suspect for the Gulf of Mexico hypoxic zone.

archman:
Wild-caught seafood doesn't contribute much in the way of pollution.
True, but it does lead to extensive fish species loss in many cases. In addition many marine mammals (including the ones that are currently fashionable to save such as dolphins, whales etc) are killed or injured in the process. This in turn disturbes the natural order of things in the ocean. Not good IMO.

archman:
As for aquaculture, the pollution footprint is directly tied to the intensity type. Extensive-type aquaculture is relatively pollution free.
Do you have any examples of this ?

archman:
Conventional agriculture pollutes heavily too. Cornfield runoff is a prime suspect for the Gulf of Mexico hypoxic zone.
It's true that conventional agriculture is a concern. But do you know what most of the corn production is used for ? To feed livestock. A very inefficient and pollution intensive way to make protein for people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom