What do you enjoy the most about your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I was thinking about this on my last few dives, because they haven't been particularly noteworthy ones. Visibility has been very limited (and even worse when there are seals), and we haven't found anything terribly exciting. The weather has been somewhere between inhospitable and unpleasant, and the water has gotten cold. So there has to be some reason I'm still doing this.

After giving it a very little bit of thought, I came up with two things: One, I truly love the ability to sit still in the water. To be able to stop doing ANYTHING, not even twitching a fin, and be as close to weightless in space as anybody tied to the planet will ever get, is utterly intoxicating.

The other thing is the moment when I look at my buddy and we are both grinning ear to ear over something we've both just enjoyed, whether it's finding something unusual, or just Kirk trying to sneak up on a spot prawn. There's a great camaraderie associated with sharing the underwater experience with somebody you enjoy diving with.

So, it's winter -- What do YOU find to enjoy about your diving this time of year? (Warm water people can post, but we'll blow raspberries at you :) )
Lynne ... we really HAVE to dive Redondo next week. I hope to have some time tonight to download last night's pics and post a photo show this evening.

But to answer your question ... what do I enjoy about my diving this time of year?

Junior ... of course ... the little pest thinks I'm his dad ...

junior_small.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Chasing down a really beautiful big fish and shooting a 5-ft long piece of steel through it's brain instantly paralyzing it from a distance of 12-15 feet. (If I don't have a tank on it's even better)

I like the feel of "floating". Diving allows me to turn gravity off for a while.

I always feel like I'm flying!! Especially the first time I did a wall dive in Grand Turk (~7,000 ft wall).

dumpsterDiver:
Chasing down a really beautiful big fish and shooting a 5-ft long piece of steel through it's brain instantly paralyzing it from a distance of 12-15 feet. (If I don't have a tank on it's even better)
oh man, that is cold blooded. just wait til peta finds out. you are going to be in such big trouble....

dumpsterDiver:

Pretty sick. And so much for the "really beautiful big fish" that none of the rest of us will ever see. I certainly hope there is more to diving than just killing for you.. but if not...well, it's a free world so you're allowed.:shakehead

You might "see" it at a restaurant...

Mike Veitch:
:shakehead :shakehead

hahahaha

the seals are the best thing about diving in the PNW!!!

that would be one of the few things that would get me in the water back there...
Yea I agree. I know it's a common complaint for night dives around here, but I rather like it! :) Last night I was diving Seacrest and several times a seal would hang out between me and the bottom. I'd just hover there checking him (or her, is there a way to tell?) out, literally less than a foot from the seal.

Think of all the money some people would pay to have an experience like that, and I can do it any time I want for basically free. :D

Though I imagine after the 100th time it might get a bit old! (but I hope not)

Great picture of Junior, Bob, and just looking at it irritates me :) Jason, the last three dives I've done in Cove 2, we have floated in our own private zero viz environment secondary to seals, and Junior has swum INTO me and one of my buddies -- kerTHUNK!

Winter viz would be a reason to like diving in this weather, if we ever get any.

Parking is a good one, though! When we dove Cove 2 the other night, to my utter amazement, there were only about four cars in the parking lot, and we were the ONLY divers.

TSandM:
Junior has swum INTO me and one of my buddies -- kerTHUNK!
He's just a rambunctious two-year old looking for a hug ... :D

Just don't mention it to the handful of perpetually-indignant divers who'll give you crap about "harrassing" the seals ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom