What do you guys think about this drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmo6s:
I could be wrong about that being it... I know that the one they have is 3.5mm crushed neoprene... According to all the instructors at the shop it is super comfortable, but they obviously don't have an objective opinion... In general, how do you guys like crushed neoprene suits vs trilam?

Crushed neoprene is exclusive to DUI.
Compressed is squished neoprene...it is not crushed neoprene.

Crushed neoprene suits are expensive, heavy, take forever to dry but will last for years upon years + it's extremely durable. I've had one going now on 16 years of service. You will find a lot of divers in NYC using this type of suit. Perfect for taking a beating and then some.

I'll have to go in and get the exact specs. I know that they said it was crushed neoprene, and was super comfortable. When you say heavy ( I've never lifted either type of drysuit - 7mm for me at the moment!) are we talking an extra aluminum 80 in my gear bag? Also, in NYC will I want dry gloves? Again, new to diving dry, but have about 500 dives under my belt (and DM in training) - decided its time to get some in locally! Any other specific gear recommendations on exposure stuff (gloves, seals, etc.)?
Alex

I personally find drygloves a pain in the arse, and even when ice diving I have found that three-finger mitts (from Poseidon) were more than adequate for a 40-minute dive.

In normal UK conditions (3°C – at inland quarry sites – and up), I tend to use either 5mm neoprene gloves or 3mm neoprene gloves (in the summer) and have no problems doing hour-long-plus dives without my fingers getting too cold.

Mark

*Floater*:
Not sure what you mean, but I'd love to see a 3.5mm (regular) neoprene drysuit because it could be stretchy and form-fitting like a wetsuit - even more so that compressed ones, and lighter to boot. But I assume there's a good reason why they don't exist (unless this is one). Maybe 3.5mm neoprene isn't rugged and durable enough for drysuit diving?

The majority of thermal protection from a neoprene comes from the thickness of the neoprene ie 7mm being typical. Since a drysuit is normally used for cold temperatures it seems to me that 3.5mm neoprene doesn't provide much protection,unless it is so baggy that thick underwear can be used. At that point buying a 7mm neoprene suit,crushed neoprene,or trilam would make more sense.

karstdvr:
The majority of thermal protection from a neoprene comes from the thickness of the neoprene ie 7mm being typical. Since a drysuit is normally used for cold temperatures it seems to me that 3.5mm neoprene doesn't provide much protection,unless it is so baggy that thick underwear can be used. At that point buying a 7mm neoprene suit,crushed neoprene,or trilam would make more sense.

I doubt the warmth factor is the reason why they don't make 3.5mm non-compressed neoprene drysuits. You would just need more undies, like with trilam, but unlike the trilam it would be stretchy. Of course you can get decent stretchiness with compressed suits too, but not to the same extent as you do with a 3.5mm wetsuit... plus they weigh more and probably take longer to dry.

elmo6s:
I'll have to go in and get the exact specs. I know that they said it was crushed neoprene, and was super comfortable. When you say heavy ( I've never lifted either type of drysuit - 7mm for me at the moment!) are we talking an extra aluminum 80 in my gear bag? Also, in NYC will I want dry gloves? Again, new to diving dry, but have about 500 dives under my belt (and DM in training) - decided its time to get some in locally! Any other specific gear recommendations on exposure stuff (gloves, seals, etc.)?
Alex

As posted by another, CRUSHED neoprene is patented and exclusive to DUI and anyone claiming their non-DUI suit is crushed is ....

Back
Top Bottom