What do you look for in a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewRG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'd like to buy my first regulator (first and second stage, no octopus), however I'm not sure what differentiates them.

From browsing the board, the features I've seen discussed are easy of breathing, longevity, and temperature rating. How widely to each of these vary? What other metrics can anyone identify?

Finally, what should I expect to spend?

Feel free to suggest a specific brand or model if you like.

HOG Regs.

Has Apeks genes. Unbeatable value if you look.

Why no octopus? And do you need an SPG?

Availability of parts & service where you do your diving is the most important consideration IMO

As far as brands, I would recommend Apeks or Scubapro

Oh yeah or HOG

Features, quality, parts and service availability, customer service and the attitude of the company towards the customer regarding parts and regulator information or in other words if they withhold service information and parts from the customer as company policy, I will not buy from them. That leaves Zeagle, Dive Rite and HOG remaining on my list. There are a lot of great brands on the market today but as long as they refuse to respect me as a customer I will not purchase gear from them.

I would make sure that service is easily accuired and reasonable. I wouldnt ship my regs for rebuilding thats for sure. A balanced reg is more desireable and I wouldnt buy the cheapest one in the showcase but the mid range one. I have Atomics regs and they operate excellent. If you desire to service them yourself though forget it. They will not sell kits to the general public. Dive-rite does as well as some others as herman has stated. If you wont be serviceing your own then the list is longer. Ease of breathing, parts and service is what I would look for. Some will provide free parts for life to a qualified tech.

• Performance: ease of breathing
  • Quality: can last a life time and can stand long service interval without affecting performance
  • Sustainability: parts should be available even after the model is retired
So for me it's Scubapro 1 and Aqualung 2.

• Quality: can last a life time and can stand long service interval without affecting performance
So for me it's Scubapro 1 and Aqualung 2.

I agree and the ONLY reason SP or AL does not make my buy now list is because of their no parts sales policy. Obviously the policy has huge gaps in it because the part are all over ebay, still there is the principal of the thing. They do make great regs and if DIY is not important to you, they are likely the best choices due to the world wide service and history of maintaining parts for a long time.

I will quote Zung as well. The other item that came into play for us was second stage size. Sounds odd but some second stages seem quite large. In the end we bought Atomics. Their regs are very good breathers and "scored" consistently high in testing no matter whether it is their high end version or the "low" end. I have not had mine rebuilt in 4 years and they perform the same as day one. I have bought several used early versions and had them fully upgraded/rebuilt with new parts (exhaust, purge cover, hose, etc) and they are just as good as a new one out of the box.

Regarding the backup second stage (octo). Not sure what you plans are but I always recommend that folks buy a backup that is every it as good as your primary. I personally feel one should be comfortable breathing off of either for the complete dive.

Back
Top Bottom