What do you really, really want to see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimmer_spe:

I think this is where the 'really, really want to see' comes in. More like 'what're the top 5 (or 8?) things you hope to see diving? Perhaps think of it this way; of those things realistically possible (e.g.: not giant squid or the Loch Ness Monster), if a magic wish let you name the 5 things you will see diving, or what would grant you the most joy, what would they be?

Richard.

Lots of rec divers (like myself) dive to see the weird and wonderful creatures below the surface, and most of those I have spoken to have some sort of bucket list of fish/sealife they want to see.

I have relatively few dives (59, I think?), but have been pretty fortunate with my dives so far, and seem to have ticked off most of my list. That has left me out of ideas about where I should be traveling to dive. Hence, this thread!

List of stuff I want/wanted to see (many of which weren't even on my list until after I saw them):
  • Whale shark - Check! 3 of them in Maldives
  • Manta Ray - Check! 10 or so in Maldives
  • Turtles (common green ones, although others would be cool!) - Check! Malaysia, Philippines, Maldives
  • Thresher shark - Check! Malapascua
  • Blue ring octopus - Check! Malapascua
  • Flamboyant cuttlefish - Check! Anilao
  • Electric clam - Check! Anilao
  • Giant clam - Check! Anilao, Maldives
  • Pygmy seahorse - Check! Anilao
  • Mandarin fish - Check! Malapascua
  • Bobtail squid - Check! Mating pairs in Anilao
  • Frogfish - Check! Malapascua, Anilao
  • Lobsters, Mantis shrimp and many weird and wonderful nudibranches - Check!

• Wobbegong shark - Not yet - Sipadan? Raja Ampat?
  • Mola Mola - Not yet - Bali
  • Hammerhead shark - Not yet - various places
  • Other types of turtles (leatherback?) - Not yet
  • Okay I'm out of ideas

Hopefully I have many more to add to my list when others chime in!

We have several things in SE Florida you'd probably like to add to your list, Goliath Grouper, especially during aggregation, Lemon Sharks, especially during aggregation, Bull and other sharks, lots of Loggerhead and Hawksbill Turtles....

What do I want to see? Two things.

A time machine
and
Jacqueline Bisset while filming "The Deep"

What do I want to see? Two things.

A time machine
and
Jacqueline Bisset while filming "The Deep"

So...the two of yours go together, beats the fish, sharks, and turtles I suggested, but less likely

After 52 years I still haven't seen it all, but I've sure seen a lot. Although I'm pretty familiar with most of the critters in my region (SoCal) I still enjoy seeing new behavior (especially if I get it on film). For example, in all my years of diving I have only seen halfmoon (a species of sea chub) mouth fighting once... and my camcorder mysteriously overexposed that one sequence. Of course now I travel much more internationally so there is a long list of critters I have yet to see.

Great question. I would like to see a blue ribbon eel again. I saw exactly one in Fiji in 2003, and my photo of it was crap. Next would be mantas again- One can never get enough mantas. I have been fortunate to see most things I ever expect to see, but oceans sunfish would be a first for me. I asked Debbie what is on her list, and she said "big stuff: whale sharks, manta rays, ocean sunfish, big grouper, etc. She has seen a lot of things, but "big stuff" all qualifies.
DivemasterDennis

Reaching/seeing the surface after every dive. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom