Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Scuba diving is not a verb. Say "went scuba diving"

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Who cares? Divers don't need grammar.

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dived is only correctly used as particple, meaning in conjunction with the verbs to be, to have and to do... There may be other applications that are grammatically correct that I currently can't recall.

"I have dived there before." "I would have dived there, but my damned mother-in-law showed up for a 'surprise' visit."

I'm no English major and I spell as well as my 4 year old (who is a Labrador mutt); so I speak not the truth but merely what I believe the truth to be as beaten into me by nuns, priests and Irish Christian Brothers. (Love knows no boundries).

I watched the testimony of a 13 year old being tried as an adult for Murder One in Florida today and there are so many things alarming about this prosecution. One of them, the prosecution's grammar is deplorable. If I were on the jury I'd be tempted to acquit on the lack of couth of the prosecutor as opposed to the facts. (I wouldn't, it would be an ethical violation of my responsibilities as a juror, but, jurries notoriously convict/acquit for reasons unrelated to the crime/case).

I guess some of those beatings had a positive effect.

Zept - best way to drive through the magic roundabout is shut your eyes, stomp on the accelerator and start praying!

Been a few years since I went through there - fortunately I was too young to drive in those days, what a scary bit of road....

try getting around the thing in a 30 ft coach!!

Kur-nol

lol
the only one we pronounce different if leutenant(god knows if i spelt that right, been a while since i had to :)
we pronounce it Lef-tenant not Lu-tenant

my advice is to avoid Swindon altogether

And as for the Europeans caring about Michael Jackson, well, I'm English, not European, and I don't think anyone cares about him. Many are fascinated by the fact that he can sit in front of cameras and say in his weird high pitched voice "I've only had plastic surgery 3 times in my life". That the first session lasted 5 years, the second 8 years and the third 4 years is irrelevant. He looks remarkably like Diana Ross now, don't you think?

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
about Michael Jackson..... "I've only had plastic surgery 3 times in my life". That the first session lasted 5 years, the second 8 years and the third 4 years is irrelevant. He looks remarkably like Diana Ross now, don't you think?
Actually, have you seen a picture of his mother? I really think the guy has more than one serious issue!

I dove Sund Rock yesterday. v. I dived Sund Rock yesterday.

I have dived it many times before. v. I have dove it many times before.

In any case, Sund Rock has been diven by me a bunch!

And to which British Queen are we referring? Elizabeth or Elton?

(Did I say that?):eek:

but the whole family is so disfunctional if it was not real life no one would believe it.

Danceswithoctopi, that's a cruel and heartless thing to say about the Man with Caterpillar Eyebrows.

None of you dictionary quoters came up with the entry in the Chambers English Dictionary (which I am given to understand is the official dictionary of UK Scrabble tournaments):

dove (Scot.) v.i. - to be half asleep or stupified

Therefore, "dove" would mean to complete a dive in a narced condition. :winkbl:

Re the Magic Roundabout, if there are only pelican crossings, where will the doves cross?

Scuba Jim once bubbled...

I could also retort by saying that the beauty of being American is that you quit caring about anyone a couple of hundred years ago, but I won't. After all, you guys need all the friends you can get out there.

Scuba Jim, how is your German anyway? Oh thats right, your still speaking proper English thanks to a little assist you got beating the Austrian Corporal. Seems you needed mucho help then, which you got from the country that didn't care about you. I'm glad some in your country have not forgotten that.

And i'm not sure i understand your analogy of Queen = British and plastic Jackson = American. Uh, he is not typical of Americans, is he? Gawd knows what is going through his mind. All i know is we hide our kids when he comes around.:eek:

Agree with you that as time goes on he is looking more & more like Diana but there is another conspiracy theory out there on him.
Mike & his sister Janet are the same person. Think about it. Have you ever seen them both in public togeather at the same time? Creepy!:confused:

Back
Top Bottom