What do you think of my gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see you are in California -- do you intend to do any local diving? If so, there are a couple of considerations. The BC you have chosen is positively buoyant, so you will have to carry weight to sink it. If you're anything like me, the total weight of dive gear is one of the only big negatives to diving. I will do almost anything that will cut a few pounds off what I have to carry! This is one of the reasons I dive a backplate system, because there is no intrinsic buoyancy to it (no padding) AND by putting the 5 pounds of the backplate up on my back, I cut down the amount of weight I have to wear on a belt.

The regulator is perfect, a very good choice. Solid, middle-of-the-line regulator that will do anything you will ever want to do in recreational diving. Widely available, so service or parts should be easy to come by, no matter where you go.

I personally dislike split fins. (This is an argument that RAGES on SB, but I will give you my own personal reasons, and hope it doesn't start a firestorm.) For one thing, they don't "bite" the water, so you can't use them very well as horizontal stabilizers, to prevent rolling along your longitdinal axis. "Turtling" is one of the problems novice divers have, and splits don't help. The second reason is that they are difficult to use for precise positioning kicks, and you WILL want these if you move along to something like underwater photography. There are a LOT of paddle fin models out there, some heavy (good for cold water, heavy wetsuits or dry suits) and some lighter (better for tropical diving). I'd highly recommend looking around at what's available, and whatever you buy, make sure it comes with some kind of bungie or spring strap -- they beat traditional straps all hollow!

More importantly, what do YOU think of your gear. If it gets you in the water, it's the right gear for you, it doesn't matter what we think of it. I use both paddles and split fins, they both work. I use a few different regs, they all work. I can dive in just about any BC.

If the gear is sufficient for the dives you're doing then use it. If not, buy something different.

Will they last? Sure.

I could dive that gear easily anywhere. Remember the most important part: fit and comfort. Take time to adjust everything just so and you'll do fine.

You'll still need a mechanical pressure gauge.

No you don't. Husband dives with the Suunto Viper Air and the transmitter takes the place of the mechanical gauge.
You might want a backup, but you don't have to have one to dive. Whenever we rent gear, they take the mechanical gauges off the reg and replace it with the transmitter.

Thanks for all the tips.

As for what I see myself doing... I want to get advanced certified and maybe a few other classes like cave and night diving bot I dont think I will get very into tech. I will probably dive locally every now and then but most of my dives will be tropical.

As for the gear, I dod try on the bc by itself and with a tank but couldn't get in the water with it. I did really like the fit though. I tried on a few other bc styles and liked the soul jacket style best.

As for the fins, Id love recommendations for some good ones to look at. the atomic splits were at my dive shop and I liked them over the other choices but maybe there are others I should try.

it doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks. It's your gear. shop around and look for gear that fits your style of diving and what "you" like. (not anyone else) and what you can afford. Have fun with the new toys and keep diving!

The most important aspect of any BC if first and foremost the fit. All other features are second to does it fit you well. And, since BC's come in a wide range of styles and size what works well for one person won't for another. If you've already identified one that you like and fits you well then by all means stick to your choice.

As for the regulator, I've only dived Aqualung once but it performed well and for standard recreational dives it is just fine. Don't get too caught up in brand names. When all is said and done they will all serve you well. Again, if this is one that you've identified and like don't let someone else tell you brand "X" is better because in reality it's more about personal choice.

I dive Atomic Splits and for standard recreational diving they are just fine. Despite opinions here on Scubaboard that they don't feel like they provide enough thrust multiple tests in dive magazines support the fact they are among the fastest fins on the market. The caveat is that they are tested only for standard flutter kick not any of the other specialized kicks like frog or back finning. I would guess that 80-90% of the time you are using a standard flutter kick anyways. My only complaint is that for travel they can be big and bulky compared to other fins. My daughter uses Aeris Mako fins and not only are they much cheaper than the Atomics they are much lighter. As for function they dive just fine and she has no complaints about her fins, and even come in an ice blue color that she likes.

In any event, gear choice is very personable and depends on your likes and your needs. It won't do you any good to get gear for cave diving when you won't be diving caves. It's like getting a thick winter parka for Hawaii. It might keep you warm in Alaska but is totally overkill and unnecessary for Hawaii. It is also very much like my personal ratings for wine. I have what I refer to as the "wow" rating for wine. If you take a sip and say, "wow, that's nice" then that's all that matters. The actual rating in a magazine like Wine Spectator doesn't matter if you like it.

Dive what you like and have fun.

Will they last? Sure. I could dive that gear easily anywhere. Remember the most important part: fit and comfort. Take time to adjust everything just so and you'll do fine.

We have a winner! I'm betting everyone who has replied could dive your gear just fine. They might not prefer it but they could dive it and safely.

The I3 is the only thing I will flag - and that's based on buddying an absolute I3 lover to the nth degree.

The I3 works and works well but it doesn't work better AND it's significantly different ergonomically from the standard design on most BCDs and wings. So something that involves buoyancy control will always be slightly different for you.

I think if your gear is going to be significantly different it needs to be better at something. Even the dreaded suicide fins (aka as splits, which I dive) are better at something than paddles.

That said, you have a safe, robust and comfortable BCD which you like. Five the hell out of it and then when you do decide to get another consider going with a standard inflator, for us buddies if for nothing else. ; )

Back
Top Bottom