What do you think of my gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do not need to have a mechanical pressure gauge if you have a transmitter. I think that's more the DIR theory coming out. I know many people who dive with transmitters only. Some people like them as a backup. If your worried about computer failure then you might want to think about one.

As for what I see myself doing... I want to get advanced certified and maybe a few other classes like cave and night diving bot I dont think I will get very into tech. I will probably dive locally every now and then but most of my dives will be tropical.

Now... The red is my highlight.

This is were I would say slow down with the gear choices abit.

Cave is absolutely NOT "Not getting very into tech"... Cave IS tech!

I would advice you to reflect a little bit over why you want to get into Cave, what is your motivation, and how important is this for you.
Having cavediving as a goal is fine, but it will also influence the advice people give.

If Caves are a passion/interest above water, and you would like to go in that direction under water, a DIR Hogarthian gearsetup would be my recommendation. This includes, but not limited to:

Good quality regs, with first stages that can be easily reconfigured to doubles. With appropriate hose lengths. Ie. Long hose and bungied secondary.
Backplate with a continous harness with a knife/cutting device on harness
Wing of appropriate size
Rigid, non-split fins

If cave is a set goal, then your suggested gear choices WILL NOT get you there, and you end up buying new stuff.

Last edited:
I didn't read through all the other posts, so this may be repeats.

BC: I would make sure it's a back inflate vs. a vest. You could also do a Backplate and Wing but whatever.

Regs: Didn't look at yours but make sure you can get it service, and if the combo is much more than $200, I'd look at getting some HOGs.

Computer: I personally like my Mares Puck. It's about $180 and is rated to 400' plus, doesn't lock you out, and is of course nitrox. It's not air integrated, but I don't care for air integrated anyway. I use this as my backup to my petrel.

Fins: I would not get split fins. I'd get a blade fin, lighter if weight is an issue.

Oh, and it's not about being cheap, it's finding things that are a good value and meet your needs. Plenty of things in scuba are way overpriced.

No you don't. Husband dives with the Suunto Viper Air and the transmitter takes the place of the mechanical gauge.
You might want a backup, but you don't have to have one to dive. Whenever we rent gear, they take the mechanical gauges off the reg and replace it with the transmitter.

Well, thanks for sorting that out.

The I3 works and works well but it doesn't work better AND it's significantly different ergonomically from the standard design on most BCDs and wings. So something that involves buoyancy control will always be slightly different for you.
I liked the I3 when I tested it out. I really did. Two reasons stopped that BC from becoming my go-to BC. 1) no crotch strap. 2) Not adjustable enough. It's why I dive the Express Tech and might be changing to the Hollis equivalent if I ever get to try it out. PS: Thanks for the kind, kind words.

I would advice you to reflect a little bit over why you want to get into Cave, what is your motivation, and how important is this for you.
I agree with this, but the possibility of future cave diving will not have much of an impact on your OW gear. You'll want a dedicated set of gear for cave diving and you might not even use a BP&Wing. That used to be a given, but with the popularity of side mount, it's not a sure thing anymore. I can't remember the last time I wore back mounted doubles, but I use my SMS 100 for dual tanks all the time.

you might not even use a BP&Wing. That used to be a given, but with the popularity of side mount, it's not a sure thing anymore.

Dude you're going to have to kick yourself off the board for just THINKING such heresy!

I liked the I3 when I tested it out. I really did. Two reasons stopped that BC from becoming my go-to BC. 1) no crotch strap. 2) Not adjustable enough. It's why I dive the Express Tech and might be changing to the Hollis equivalent if I ever get to try it out. PS: Thanks for the kind, kind words.

I agree with this, but the possibility of future cave diving will not have much of an impact on your OW gear. You'll want a dedicated set of gear for cave diving and you might not even use a BP&Wing. That used to be a given, but with the popularity of side mount, it's not a sure thing anymore. I can't remember the last time I wore back mounted doubles, but I use my SMS 100 for dual tanks all the time.

This is true... But whatever she choses... If she has a great desire of going Cave, then the gear choices she has made here will not get her there! Personally I would like to chose gear that I could actually do what my goals were. Whether that is sidemount or backmount is slightly besides the question. But you are right. The biggest issue is that she needs to reflect on wether or not cavediving is a must. And then the choices for gear can be made accordingly.

This is true... But whatever she choses... If she has a great desire of going Cave, then the gear choices she has made here will not get her there! Personally I would like to chose gear that I could actually do what my goals were. Whether that is sidemount or backmount is slightly besides the question. But you are right. The biggest issue is that she needs to reflect on wether or not cavediving is a must. And then the choices for gear can be made accordingly.

Did you start out with the gear you're diving now?

Did you start out with the gear you're diving now?

No, I didn't! But Had I known how much better it would fit me, I would have rather bought what I dive now. Unfortunately no-one told me that BPW was an option, and when I asked instructor and shopowner about fins, they outright lied...

So... maybe we can save her a few bucks by pointing her in the right direction, depending on what she wants to do.
And if you read my first post, before she mentioned cave, I hade nothing bad to say about her choices with the exception of the fins.

Back
Top Bottom