What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browsen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to talk myself into a Dry Suit, but they are so expensive and it is definately on the want rather than need list.

What should I look for / consider when purchasing a suit.

I have seen them range in price from $499 all the way up to $1500

Take a look at the lowest priced one and tell me what you think.
divers-supply.com/Sea-Elite-Scout-Drysuit-P4339.aspx

What about a semi-dry. I have a Scubapro 6.5 semi-dry. Spent about 3 hours in 72 degree water. Very comfortable. Less expensive the drysuit. Also less maintenance versus drysuit.

Safe Diving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the big thing for me is that this is a bilaminate drysuit. Bilaminate materials have a reputation for delaminating -- I don't know if it is deserved, or only occurs with certain brands, but that rep is out there.

I can't tell from the photograph whose inlet and dump valves the suit uses, either.

But it's a heck of a price on a new dry suit. If you are willing to take the risk that, after a few years of use, you will have unfixable leaks, it might not be a bad purchase. (For example, if you're a student, and expect your financial situation to improve in a few years.)

There are two approaches to this kind of thing: Buy what you can afford now with the knowledge you'll probably end up replacing it, or stretch to get what you want, with the hope that you will only buy once.

I'd definitely look into used dry suits, or suits, for example, on the DUI seconds page. Dry suits lose an enormous amount of their value the minute they go in the water (kind of like new cars). Even a suit that requires replacement seals can be a good buy, as seal replacement is not that expensive. What you don't want to do is buy a suit that needs a zipper, unless it's REALLY cheap, because zipper replacement is more involved and quite expensive (several hundred dollars).

I dive dry everywhere, including the Caribbean. My main suit is at least ten years old and still in good shape. There is some special care needed but that is mostly making sure it is stored correctly and cleaned after use. Think of it as an investment in your diving comfort, range, and buoyancy. Don't sweat the fears of leaks - most are easy to repair if they come. Think of the comfort and extended dive season. Go for it.

Browsen:

You are getting some good advice. The Sea Elite price is excellent. Divers Supply house brands are usually well made and get good reviews. They are simply cutting out the middleman by buying direct and passing the savings on. The advice to look @ the DUI seconds and e-bay etc. is also a good idea.

We manufacture a 4mm microcell neoprene suit, with low profile valves, foot valves, and neoprene seals that may be worth a look: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear Click catalog/drysuits.

Whatever you buy the "go dry" will take you everywhere as tajkd said.

I'm trying to talk myself into a Dry Suit, but they are so expensive and it is definately on the want rather than need list.

What should I look for / consider when purchasing a suit.

I have seen them range in price from $499 all the way up to $1500

Take a look at the lowest priced one and tell me what you think.
divers-supply.com/Sea-Elite-Scout-Drysuit-P4339.aspx

There are a lot of ways to look at an entry level dry suit. First is likelihood of use. Given your posted dive count range you know what you are getting into and are probably hooked. That's one point for making a better suit a stretch goal but it's not a deal maker.

Consider the entire outfit. A laminate suit provides virtually no warmth. In cold water situations bundling up for warmth in whatever is around the house isn't the answer unless you have high performance attire for other (winter) sports. A good garment and wicking undies can cost as much as that suit.

It could well to drive you to alternate fins due to boot size. +/- $100.

Is there room in your BC for the bulk of a drysuit & garments?

Once you total up the ancillary items paying more for the suit can take on a different perspective.

For me the entry level suit of choice was an neoprene suit I was able to buy new 5 years ago for $500. Being an inherently warm suit I am generally warmer than all of my laminate buddies. These suits are not without disadvantages such as weight, buoyancy and compression. For the local shore dives I enjoy it has served me well. The logic in this post contributed to my decision to buy this suit.

I plan to be upgrading over the next few months and seem to between a full blown DUI TLS 350, The Whites Fusion or the Body Glove suit. My findings at an upcoming DUI DOG day will enter into that decision.

In the end remember that you are not married to whatever you choose. If it's what you can afford and it gets you diving comfortable and safely dry that's the most important thing. If the budget means you need to increment to your dream suit while you learn the ins and outs that's OK.

Pete

Well, the big thing for me is that this is a bilaminate drysuit. Bilaminate materials have a reputation for delaminating -- I don't know if it is deserved, or only occurs with certain brands, but that rep is out there.
This is a little off-topic, but isn't the waterproof barrier on the Whites Fusion drysuit constructed of a bilaminate material? I bring up this point since the suit is highly regarded and is probably one of the better values on the drysuit market.

You may want to look into a used drysuit on the boards as well. I was able to find a Bares for ~$200 in near perfect condition a while ago.
The other thing that I would suggest is trying one out before you buy. They are a very different diving experience than diving wet!

This is a little off-topic, but isn't the waterproof barrier on the Whites Fusion drysuit constructed of a bilaminate material? I bring up this point since the suit is highly regarded and is probably one of the better values on the drysuit market.

When I spoke with the factory guy at a demo day it seemed pretty clear this material was not your grandfathers bilaminate (if it actually a bilaminate). On top of that there is the skin and socks to provide the 3rd layer for mechanical protection.

I don't know that there is anything conceptually awful about a bilaminate as a concept if you can work internal slip, water proof and mechanical strength into the 2 layers. Some early implementations fell short of that mark.

Being what it is the Fusion is something of a freak compared to the conventional formats.

Pete

When I spoke with the factory guy at a demo day it seemed pretty clear this material was not your grandfathers bilaminate (if it actually a bilaminate). On top of that there is the skin and socks to provide the 3rd layer for mechanical protection.
Hmmm. I don't know if we spoke with the same Whites representatives. On two separate occasions (Whites demo days), I was told that the waterproof barrier on the Fusion is made of a bilaminate material. I agree that this is probably not a big deal, since the outer skin provides some abrasion resistance. Moreover, I haven't heard of the material on a Fusion delaminating since the suit has made its debut...but the suit hasn't been on the market for that long.

It's certainly possible that the Fusion bilam is different from the problematic bilam to which TSandM was referring.

My drysuit (Bare Nex-Gen Pro) is technically a bilaminate shell suit. I haven't had any issues with the material breaking down, but then again I've only put a couple of hundred dives on the suit (purchased new approx. 5 years ago). :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom