What does BC Servicing Include?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like you take great care of your stuff, so it should last for years with just the proper rinsing... Every now and then, maybe unscrew the releases and make sure there is no salt or sand buildup that the rinsing can't get to.

And the previous poster is right about the inflator. That is simply a shraeder valve (just like in a car tire) on most, so in a pinch... just flatten someone’s tire and to on with your dive! :)

Honestly, it's normally easier to replace the whole inflator end when one goes bad than to fix them. They are only about $35 and I always carry a spare when I go on trips. Quick note... there are two different sizes of hoses used in the world. The oceanic is going to be a smaller diameter than say a Zeagle so if carrying a spare - make sure it's the right one!

Anybody knows what the inside of the BCD bladder is made of? I want to research to see how fast rubbing alcohol breaks down the material. if it takes 15 years, then I am not going to sweat it. :D

BTW - the other common thing people often forget is that the BCD should be stored partially inflated.

Do most of you guys leave water in the bladder for extended periods of time or do you unscrew a dump valve and let it dry out? I know you're supposed to leave it partially inflated but is it best to have it dry too?

okie:
Do most of you guys leave water in the bladder for extended periods of time or do you unscrew a dump valve and let it dry out? I know you're supposed to leave it partially inflated but is it best to have it dry too?
Dry! Leaving water in it will grow microorganisms. Can't get it completely dry, of course - which is why I use disinfectant. :wink:

That's pretty much what I thought. Leaving water in it might allow some kind of organic funk to thrive in there. Will unscrewing dump valves to dry it out eventually cause any problems such as air leakage? Has anybody actually experienced problems from this?

okie:
That's pretty much what I thought. Leaving water in it might allow some kind of organic funk to thrive in there. Will unscrewing dump valves to dry it out eventually cause any problems such as air leakage? Has anybody actually experienced problems from this?
One possilbe problem with unscrewing the dump would be losing the flat o-ring. I added some silicone grease to one side of mine so it stays stuck in place. Also carry a spare, even. But your dump may be different from mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom