What does this hand signal mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Over the weekend I dove with a buddy I had never dove before. During our dive he made this hand signal and I did not know what it meant.

He made a "T" shape with both his hands. Meaning his left hand was the top part of the T and his right hand the middle part of the T. Fingers of right hand extended touching middle of palm of the left hand. I gave him the confused "I don't know" gesture. He just went along his merry way with me following right behind. Forgot to ask him after the dive what it meant, so now I am really curious. I assume it is fairly common signal since we did go over a few signals before the dive, but this one never came up.

I'm a new diver, so I'm really only familiar with the hand signals they teach you in the PADI open water class. Picked up a few here and there from other divers as well.

Thanks!

The “time-out hand signal” is usually a sign to do a safety stop. Sometimes it used to indicate lets go up to x depth. (Time out followed by a depth signal indicated by fingers shown 4 = lets go to 40&#8217:wink:
The important thing is to go over these signals before the dive.

If it looks like this,it means 1/2 tank.

Attachments

• timeout.jpg
    timeout.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,366
I use the "T" signal as a Safety Stop signal as well. Was your buddy using 3 fingers to form the base of the "T"? That's how the wife and I communicate how long we have left on our safety stop. 3 fingers we're just starting, 2 fingers two minutes left, 1 finger may have more than one meaning depending on the finger... :D

But like Teamcasa syas, make sure to review those before the dive.

Have fun!

If it looks like this,it means 1/2 tank.

Yes, that's the one. We turned around and headed back about a minute or so after he gave the signal, so 1/2 tank probably makes the most sense.

Its probably not a safety stop signal since we didn't make our safety stop until about 20 mins later.

Thanks!

Every diver is different, I use that signal for "time out" when I need a minute to collect my head because something is driving my anxiety level up.

For safety stop I hold my right hand level and move it back and forth for "level out" then signal 3 or 5 for how long the stop will be.

I've had those confusing hand signal days. Sometimes you think of all the signals you need, other days you really need a slate. My personal favorite was with an advanced student who understood my signal that meant "My ham salad sandwich is trying to come back up, I'm trying to keep it down but beware I might puke" I think he's more mind reader than hand signal reader :D
Ber :lilbunny:

For half a tank signal my buddy and I use the shoos or be quiet sign vertically across the middle of our secondary regulator, only with all fingers up not just the index finger. Very simple.

Different people use different signals for the samething, again, go over them before the dive.

In metric regions that sign often means 100 bar gas left.

Diving with metric gauges?

T sign is often 100 bar, closed fist (not against chest, that is low on air) is often 50 bar.

So T, Closed fist, 3 fingers = 180 bar left.

Possibly this?

-Andy

If the T was made with the edge of the bottom hand facing you as in 300bar's image it's usually used to indicate 1/2 tank. When we use it we tap the top hand onto the bottom hand a couple of times, just like an umpire calling time out.

For a 3 minute safety stop, we turn the bottom hand palm inwards and curl the pinky and thumb in, leaving 3 fingers facing our buddy. We also do not tap the top hand. In my mind not tapping equals hold steady at this depth for 3 minutes.

In metric regions that sign often means 100 bar gas left.

Diving with metric gauges?

T sign is often 100 bar, closed fist (not against chest, that is low on air) is often 50 bar.

So T, Closed fist, 3 fingers = 180 bar left.

Possibly this?

-Andy

Me and my buddies use the T to signify 100 bar as well

Back
Top Bottom