What Dry suit should I buy for Ice diving NH 2-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

February 7th?

I don't know what's going on a few miles west of me but there is a good chance that it will be latter or cancelled the way this winter is going. The next few weeks will be telling.

Last winter many Maine instructors called it off for lack of good ice.

Really significant ice is needed before they cut a hole and surround it with a support crew.

Pete

I dive a Bear D6 Pro Dry , pretty cheap drysuit and is great under the ice keeps me warm in any water

Ill second the Pinnacle suits. I too dove alot of different suits and decided that i liked Pinacle the best.

I am now looking at tri lam that drygloves can be used.
What is the need for rock boots if you are wearing fins?
Would that be for working or recovery?
Pee valve I have a mega bladder and can't inagine being down long enough to need it.
Iguess it could be useful on shore dives that you are in the suit for an extended surface interval. I also see some have a relief zipper. It seems like one more potential leak (no pun intended).
What do you think?
Mike

mlkco:
What is the need for rock boots if you are wearing fins?
The feet of drysuits come in 2 flavors.

One is an integrated fairly sturdy neoprene boot. These are a little strudier than most wetsuit booties. You just wear socks inside and are ready for fins.

The second version is like a pair of neoprene doctor denton footsies and provides no support. Rockboots (a trade name) or even sneakers are worn over for the mechanical protection and footing.

mlkco:
Pee valve I have a mega bladder and can't inagine being down long enough to need it.
Iguess it could be useful on shore dives that you are in the suit for an extended surface interval. I also see some have a relief zipper. It seems like one more potential leak (no pun intended).
What do you think?
Mike

I am without a peevalve or relief zipper and for one dive it's been entirely manageable. Diving dry you won't have as many of the phisiological needs to urinate. If it's a 2 dive outing then it becomes a crapshoot. Opening up on the SI is usually no big deal and odds are you won't be the only one. Having the ability would be nice but my frequency of dry diving has not motivated me yet.

Pete

I don't sweat the lack of a pee valve -- my times aren't long enough on a single tank to have a problem, and I'm used to popping the suit open during the SI.

Unless you are just card collecting, a drysuit course this late in the year probably isn't going to solve anything. A typical drysuit course does not really qualify you to dive a divesuit in extreme or demanding conditions - it just gives you (hopefully, but not necessarily) the rudiments so that you can go out and continue learning how to dive a drysuit on your own. Since it is already well into winter, any drysuit course you take is probably going to be a pool course, and you will have very limited opportunities to practice those skills OW before you hit the ice.

BTW ice in a wetsuit isn't all that bad. There are some precautions you can take - get some really good gloves, duct tape the joints, and dump a gallon of tepid water down you neck before hitting the water.

mlkco:
I will go to my local store and see about a dry suit specialty course.
They would have let me take it wet but I want dry.
I will have to make ice my next course after dry suit.
Great input and I'll keep watching for suit recommendations.
Thanks,
Mike

Drysuit is nice.
Icediving is nice.

Just dont try both for the first time at the same time.

Be confident with one before you try the other. I'd start with the drysuit.
I've been using a N-Diver 2.5 mm comp. (N2-Ri) for 4 years, its been nice, but starting to show signs of wear. Think I'll go for an O'3 (O'three) this winter.

I have a drysuit for a sale. $800 for an Xl compressed neo Diving Concepts. Normally 1500 selling used about 40 times for 800.

I agree with the other suggestions that you may want to get some DS time under your belt before the ice diving.

My experience comes as a commercial and recreational diver,
The key to staying warm topside or below is layering that traps air, therefore I do not reccomend neoprene, also it gets wet and freezes topside limiting mobility, takes longer to don and doff exposing you to the atmosphere (no underwear under a neo suit) also as it ages it loses it's insulative properties,

I do recommend Vulcanized or Trilaminate drysuits because you can add or remove layers of underwear, they dry exponentially faster and donning and doffing doesnt leave you cold, wet and exposed.
Drysuits protect you from waterborne contaminants and marine life, (ever had Jelly stingers between your wetsuit and body?). I have arrived on dive site been given instructions removed sharp objects from my pockets and shoes, donned my drysuit completed the job, towel dry my drysuit doff it and roll it up put on my shoes and gone home with a nice fat paycheck, you can't do that in a Neoprene drysuit.

I can even dive the warm waters of South Florida in my sharkskin or tee shirt and short pants/socks with my Trilaminate (Don't try that in vulcanized rubber unless you like heatstroke) get topside and comfy while other divers are sitting uncomfortably in their wetsuits.

And for repet dives, donning a wet neoprene dry or wetsuit sucks, Imagine that ice diving.

Don't buy a dry suit until you rent and dive a few first, at $800 and up I am amazed how few people have the common sense to do this.

Finally Macho foolishness aside never ice dive in a wetsuit it's just plain stupid, even warm water wicks away body heat the longer you are immersed, no matter what argument is presented to you and what credentials they may have use common sense. Water on skin wicks away body heat faster than air the colder the water the more the body has to work to keep you warm.

(If I offended someone out there...oh well stop giving harmful advice)

Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom