what fins are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I'd pick the Novas if I were diving in regular currents, a little too floppy for me, I'd probably be looking for something a little stiffer. Can test dive fins at your LDS?

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 12:30 PM ----------

I'd recommend fins with spring or bungee straps, fins that come with them as standard may save you the extra cost of having to buy and fit later. Most later model Mares come with bungees, as do the Novas and Gorillas. Hollis F1s (big heavy fins) and F2s (small light fins) come with springs as standard. I'm sure there are others. Most fins can be retrofitted with springs but that could you up to $50 depending which brand you went with. I have springs or bungees fitted to all my fins, more reliable and make donning and doffing a breeze.

I really am looking to get SCubaPro Novas. They pulled these out and said these would be as good for $35. Are they right? Are these fins any good?

What size are you looking for? I have a pair of M, check the link on my signature.

pavao I wear a size 12 5mm boot. buddhasummer would the gorillas be good for light-moderate current? Yes I could try them at my LDS but then I will be obliged to purchase from them where I can get them for much much less

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 07:37 PM ----------

Pavao I think they will be too small-tight

pavao I wear a size 12 5mm boot. buddhasummer would the gorillas be good for light-moderate current? Yes I could try them at my LDS but then I will be obliged to purchase from them where I can get them for much much less

Oh yeah, way too small, you most likely need the XL

Yes, the Gorillas would better, they are stiffer. I also own and currently dive Gorillas. I can frog kick in them. They do not generate the same speed as the Novas if flutter kicking. For my kicking style and conditions I found the Gorillas more suitable. Having said that where I dive there is A LOT of discarded fishing line and I have got caught up twice so may retire them. I've just ordered some Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins in white, low viz at local site, for wet diving so will see how I like them. FWIW I've owned HOLLIS F1s and F2s, Aeris Accels, Oceanic Vipers, Cressi Frogs, Seawing Novas and Gorillas, Mares Turbo Planas, SP Jets, DiveRite EXP XTs, SP Jet Fin Revos and within the next few days Mares Avanti Quattro Plus so if you want any my impressions or personal opinions on any of those just ask.

Current favorites, DR EXP XTs when diving dry, more because they fit properly than anything else. Aeris Accels when traveling, they are small and very light. Wet local, diving jury's still out.

Last edited:
Yes, the Gorillas would better, they are stiffer. I also own and currently dive Gorillas. I can frog kick in them. They do not generate the same speed as the Novas if flutter kicking. For my kicking style and conditions I found the Gorillas more suitable. Having said that where I dive there is A LOT of discarded fishing line and I have got caught up twice so may retire them. I've just ordered some Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins in white, low viz at local site, for wet diving so will see how I like them. FWIW I've owned HOLLIS F1s and F2s, Aeris Accels, Oceanic Vipers, Cressi Frogs, Seawing Novas and Gorillas, Mares Turbo Planas, SP Jets, DiveRite EXP XTs, SP Jet Fin Revos and within the next few days Mares Avanti Quattro Plus so if you want any my impressions or personal opinions on any of those just ask.

Current favorites, DR EXP XTs when diving dry, more because they fit properly than anything else. Aeris Accels when traveling, they are small and very light. Wet local, diving jury's still out.
You're a fin sommelier. How do the F2s compare with the Accels for travel?

You're a fin sommelier. How do the F2s compare with the Accels for travel?

To be honest I really liked the F2s, they are very robust which is the most important factor to me for travel fins after size and weight. They are very slightly heavier than the Accels and have a slightly larger blade surface, they are also slightly stiffer. Both pack very well. I could frog kick a little better in the F2s.

The only reason I bought the Accels was because I couldn't get a good fit with the F2s. Even with a shorter 3rd party spring I still had an annoying amout of lateral movement, the foot pockets to me seem more designed for drysuit boots than wet they are very generous. If you can get a good fit in the F2s I'd recommend them over the Accels. But they are so similar in size, weight and performance either make a great travel fin. The almost indestructible nature of the F2s is the tipping point for me. The Accels are the lightest fin I've ever seen. I almost lost them off the back of a boat and it wasn't that windy. They are so light they feel almost like a toy. I replaced the silicone straps with Seawing Nova bungee straps, they fit straight on.

To be fair I haven't used the Accels as much as the F2s, maybe a 5-50 ratio. I sold the F2s after about 50 dives so next trip it's the Accels.

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 03:35 PM ----------

I had to look up "sommelier" ha ha. Yes, my search for the "perfect" fin is endless. I figure I'm looking for three, drysuit, wet and travel. Well, maybe four...it's a sickness.

To be honest I really liked the F2s, they are very robust which is the most important factor to me for travel fins after size and weight. They are very slightly heavier than the Accels and have a slightly larger blade surface, they are also slightly stiffer. Both pack very well. I could frog kick a little better in the F2s.

The only reason I bought the Accels was because I couldn't get a good fit with the F2s. Even with a shorter 3rd party spring I still had an annoying amout of lateral movement, the foot pockets to me seem more designed for drysuit boots than wet they are very generous. If you can get a good fit in the F2s I'd recommend them over the Accels. But they are so similar in size, weight and performance either make a great travel fin. The almost indestructible nature of the F2s is the tipping point for me. The Accels are the lightest fin I've ever seen. I almost lost them off the back of a boat and it wasn't that windy. They are so light they feel almost like a toy. I replaced the silicone straps with Seawing Nova bungee straps, they fit straight on.

To be fair I haven't used the Accels as much as the F2s, maybe a 5-50 ratio. I sold the F2s after about 50 dives so next trip it's the Accels.

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 03:35 PM ----------

I had to look up "sommelier" ha ha. Yes, my search for the "perfect" fin is endless. I figure I'm looking for three, drysuit, wet and travel. Well, maybe four...it's a sickness.

There's a new fin to try: the Atomic Blade Fin. A little pricey.

OP I've been using Mares Plana Avanti fins for many years. Most of the diving I do involves current of varying strengths. Ebay has many of these fins for sale. I have a pair of XL for backup that I could sell to you if you're interested. Someone mentioned spring straps, money well spent.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom