What gear do you travel with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything except tanks and lead weights, I take my weight belt as many operators I have encountered use plastic buckled belts and im not fond of them. Except regs I have lighter "travel" versions of all my gear, al plate, small wing, smaller smb, smaller lights etc I like diving my own gear, I'm familiar with it, it's well looked after and performs well for my type/style of diving.

Local or plane I bring everything except tanks and weights, makes no sense to me to buy either. Thru trial and error you learn what you need and what you don't, what fits and what doesn't, what takes up too much space, and what weighs too much. My son and I are now at the point where we can pack two sets of complete gear for each of us including boat bags, wet suits, etc. in one checked bag and keep it safely under the airline allowance. Regs and computers go with us in a carry-on bag.

I take all of what I consider the 'safety' critical gear - i.e. regulators, SPG and depth gauge, BCD, and computers (one wrist, one console) but then I work abroad so am always flying. I always take my own mask and fins (prescription), and usually torches and knife. I also always carry a set of tables just in case.

It all fits in a 100 litre dry duffel and weighs in at 14kg. Later this month I shall also take a drysuit as I have a chance for some marine diving, and although the water will be reasonable (14-16 degrees c) I want to have a bit of a play with it in salt water which is rather scarce round where I live.

I would normally rent a wetsuit, weights and tank.

Locally, everything but a tank. That will change once I start driving (and once I have my own tank). If I were going abroad somewhere warm, I would say everything but my drysuit/undersuit, tank, and lead. If it was cold water, then just tanks and lead would stay home

I'm in with most of the others ... the works, except tanks and weights. But the one thing you don't need much of ... clothes. Aside from a lightweight pair of travel pants, a long sleeve nylon/acrylic shirt, and a lightweight rain/wind shell, I go 3-4 weeks with two pairs of quick-dry cargo type shorts, two quick-dry T-shirts, and two jammer style swim shorts. All of my clothes pack into the space of a loaf of bread, and probably weigh about the same. You're going on your dive trip to dive, right?

I was so proud of myself on my last trip when I didn't bring shoes or even 1 pair of socks - just 1 pair of flips (well, and booties)! I usually always also brought sneakers, dressier type shoes, and boots... and wayyyyyy too many outfits. 2 pair of shorts and a few T's is the way to go!!

It looks like most divers agree. All your SCUBA gear except tanks & wts.

For Once-in-a-lifetime trips a redundant computer is a must!

I use a large roller duffel - All my gear (no lead or tanks) including regs [computer in carryon], BDC, 3 mil full suit, heavy jet fins, Force Fins, Torch, Knife, and two sets of snorkel gear with fins (for wife and daughter) three beach towels a couple t-shirts shorts swim trunks etc to pad everything. a few extras etc. I keep it to 45 lbs for the ride out just incase stuff is wet coming home. I'm sure I could get everything I needed in carryon This way I have everything I want. My usual airline still has 2 bags at 50lb for free (I only use one) and there is no way my wife will travel carryon so I have my bag and she has hers (wife and daughters clothing of which they hardly touch). You really don't need much for cloths when your at the beach... I wear the collered short sleeve shirt blue jeans blazer and topsiders on the plane for the nicer meals. If it's too fancy for blue jeans no one ever balks at khaki shorts with a blazer...

Last month I spent four weeks diving around Indo other than my dive gear I only packed 2 T shirts, 2 shorts, a lightweight long sleeve top, a quick dry towel and toiletries, sandals I wore. Total bag weight 17kgs.

Everything except tanks and weights. For salt water, aluminum tank recreational dives, that includes the weighted STA for my SS back plate. OTOH, for my next trip, a liveaboard to Saba/St. Kitts, I might leave the big can light at home. It's not very effective for signaling in bright tropical waters, and overkill for the night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom