What Gear Not To Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put some of my thoughts into a new article: Buying Scuba Equipment - Avoiding Noobie Mistakes

Diving-equipment-design.jpg

faux-technical-diving-equipment.jpg

buying-scuba-equipment-guide.jpg

1) I wish, I hadn't bought the Uwatec Aladin computer. As a fresh diver I was advised to buy one of that kind "for starters". I wish I had invested in a Shearwater, Seabear or Liquivision unit right away - even for recreational dives. I take Aladin along as a backup, though;
2) A jacket BCD. I would opt for a (DSS) BP/W even if the ease of rinsing and packing were the only advantage.
3) Fins with straps and plastic buckles. Springstraps or rubber bungees is the way to go;
4) A compass with a strap and buckle - buy one with a bungee mount instead.
5) Octo holders, retractors, regulator necklaces - there are better DIY solutions for all of these.

New divers usually are not willing to accept how expensive diving really is. When they buy their first gear they try to save where they shouldn't and end up paying twice.

For those who despise BFK (big freaking knives), here is a blog by John Chatterton, the Shadow Diver. I don't carry one of those, but after diving with John I consider getting one. :)

Last edited:
Going to add one-

Oversize horseshoe wing with 27kg of lift. Bought on the recommendation of a dive shop (in the full knowledge that it would never see doubles - it was supplied with an STA). As I found out at the weekend, it is way over size and when used with a single tank, it flaps all over the place.

Note to self for future - do research before shopping for gear and beware of unscrupulous shops looking to offload expensive gear!

FinnMom said:
The netting to covering my single tank gets snagged on things in transport & occasionally gets filthy with weeds. Never would have bought it but the tank came like that.

The plastic handle I bought for my single tank never stays on for very long, therefore somewhat pointless.
This is interesting. I like handles on my tanks because it makes it easier to schlep them, and netting because it protects against scratches, and also provides a little extra friction in case I'm not diligent enough when I close the tank band buckle.

I actually gave that POS netting on one of my AL80's to my LDS last time I had it VIP/hydro'd. They said someone will want it. And I really don't care if my tanks get scratched really. Heck they are older than I am (being from 1977), id be shocked if they didn't have any scratches.

Thought about starting a new thread, but I figured my question could get answered in here. I don't have a lot of dives, but the more I dive the more I want to minimalize my gear. I have 2 console gauge (depth and pressure). I have found I rarely look at my depth on my console as I usually just rely on my computer. I'm thinking about selling the console and just go with a SPG. The only time I could see where the depth gauge on the console would come in handy would be if my computer crapped out and I would want to know where 15' is to still make a safety stop (obviously this after I immediately abort the dive and have no other issues preventing a safety stop). One thing I will say is that in NC most dive operators use a Carolina Rig, so there is a hang line at 15'.

Am I wrong in wanting to get rid of a bulky 2-gague console and just go with a SPG?

My console is a 3 gauge console. brass and glass SPG in one, depth gauge in the other and on the bottom side is my compass.

My computer is on my wrist. I still tend to do manual tables as well as use the computer. Not that I don't trust the computer, but ive always done it manualy and the computer is new so I haven't built up trust yet in it yet, and it failing doesn't mean im aborting the dive (or the entire day) because I have logs of depth, SIT etc.

Until now, just the general use ones.

I'm looking around (the Philippines) to see if I can find a pair of the cut-resistant ones to trial. But, the general use ones seem to offer more than adequate protection for the wreck penetration diving I do - no issues with rusted metal, coral and stinging hydriods on permanent shotlines...

The rubber grip is really exceptional for gripping wet metal (dive boat ladders etc)... and there's excellent dexterity and tactile feedback. I find them perfect for guideline work in wrecks...also for technical wreck training (feeling marker knots in caveline etc).

Eventually, the gloves will lose elasticity in the material (get saggy) or the rubber grip can dry and crack. But there's no seams to fray...and that's the biggest problem with dive gloves. At the cost (less than $5 a pair) you can budget for multiple replacements and still save $$ over the cost of expensive dive gloves over the same time-span of use.
I use something similar, but I use the cut resistant ones. Picked up most of mine from Home Depot, but do have a Speargun manufacturer branded pair that I got as a door prize for a seminar. Only difference I can see is the HD ones don't have the speargun logo. Otherwise, they look identical. Work great, too. Rubber palms provide plenty of grip. I regularly use them for gripping and stretching rubber bands, handling fish, etc. Haven't had to test the cut resistant part, but they should come in handy filleting after the trip.

Next pair I get, I think I'm going to try the puncture resistant ones, as occasionally I'll get a fish spine in the palm if I don't grab the fish right.

I use something similar, but I use the cut resistant ones. Picked up most of mine from Home Depot, but do have a Speargun manufacturer branded pair that I got as a door prize for a seminar. Only difference I can see is the HD ones don't have the speargun logo. Otherwise, they look identical. Work great, too. Rubber palms provide plenty of grip. I regularly use them for gripping and stretching rubber bands, handling fish, etc. Haven't had to test the cut resistant part, but they should come in handy filleting after the trip.

Next pair I get, I think I'm going to try the puncture resistant ones, as occasionally I'll get a fish spine in the palm if I don't grab the fish right.
If they are actually the same as I think they are, the cut resistance is actually pretty damn good. Used them on a few sites here and they have done what they were supposed to.

Being poor means I don't have a problem with the shiny shiny magpie syndrome and have very little I don't use all the time but two things I bought that I never use 1 a snorkel and 2 a travel bcd ( total waste of money). I got the travel bcd for holidays but always end up driving a big merc van so weight of gear is never a problem. The snorkel I bought when doing ow cause the book said I needed one but soon realised that it's just a unused bit of tat that I noticed hardly anyone seemed to bother with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom