What gear should I purchase next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt - an active local diver here in NJ, I would also suggest the dry suit.

We dive because it's fun. Being uncomfortable is not fun. Being cold is very uncomfortable. Therefor, being cold is NOT fun!

The more comfortable you are, the more you will dive, the more you will enjoy it.

As to pony, I would say for sure to sling it. Until switching to doubles this year I dove with single 119s and 40cf bottle under my left arm. You truly don't even notice that it's there. I went with the 40 instead of the 30 because it was only about $10 more, and it's now going to serve as a stage bottle as I get into more technical stuff.

Matt_NJ:
When i've rented tanks in the past i've never been asked what size/style tank I want to rent. Do most LDS's allow you to rent different size or style to try things out and determine what you like? I figured the AL80 only because that's what i've used and know so i'm most comfortable with it, but that's not to say I wouldnt love a steel 120, i've just never tried it!
It is economically most practical for most lds to rent AL80s, so finding a rental steel HP 100 or 120 is challenging - not a criticism of any lds, just recognition of economic reality. Many lds have staff or regular customers who may have other tanks, and that may be the way to get to try one out. A good lds is often in the position of allowing you to try different gear that their staff may own, so you are confient in your purchase. It never hurts to ask.

Another NE diver here. Not even a contest, drysuit wins in a landslide.

Buying cylinders was always quite low on my list. If you do not dive very often the yearly cost for visual inspection and hydro tests every 4 years might negate the money saved on rental. You still have to pay for a fill after each dive and at our LDS the difference between fill and rental is not all that much. The last year or 2 I have been doing much more diving and I joined a club with free air fills once a week, so now I own 2 cylinders. :D

Rockbrother:
Buying cylinders was always quite low on my list. If you do not dive very often the yearly cost for visual inspection and hydro tests every 4 years might negate the money saved on rental. You still have to pay for a fill after each dive and at our LDS the difference between fill and rental is not all that much. The last year or 2 I have been doing much more diving and I joined a club with free air fills once a week, so now I own 2 cylinders. :D

That said, owning your own tanks (ok, ALL your own equipment) is the way to go if you can afford it.

:)

The benefit is less about saving money* vs renting tanks, but rather the freedom of being able to decide at 10pm if you're gonna get up early and go diving the next morning. Especially when it comes to boat diving. The boat leaves at 7:30, the shop opens at 10, and is an hour away from the boat.

*PS - if you got into diving to save money, you really messed up big time!

RJP:
PS - if you got into diving to save money, you really messed up big time!

Yeah every time I buy something else I have to add weight to make up for the difference in my wallet!

Matt_NJ:
Yeah every time I buy something else I have to add weight to make up for the difference in my wallet!

my boss asked me the other day how much hubbys rebreather is costing us.... i said i sleep better at night not adding it all up :crafty:

with scuba gear, once it gets past a certain number of digits you try not to think aboot it too much

Back
Top Bottom