What Gloves/Boots should I wear with Mares Isotherm Millenium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khedrach

Reaction score
I have this semi dry suit and some generic gloves and boots that dont seem to fit with the suit very well. What are the suggested gloves and boots to get with this?

I have seen matching boots for sale, but I believe it was discontinued since most stores only have odd sizes available.

If it's at all possible, try to get the matching boots. The seals on the inside of the boots, along with the lack of a zipper to disrupt the seal, will result in near zero water exchange. Water does enter after a while, but it is a major improvement in comfort. This is especially useful if the ankle seals of your suit is not tight enough.

As for gloves, anything would do. I used to put my gloves between the seals and the zippered sleeve, but got tired of doing it all the time and started putting glove over the whole sleeve. As far as I know, there are no gloves with matching seals. The Mares gloves that seemed to be recommended with it has a widening wrist cuff that does have a smooth surface inside, but it is very wide and IMO not intended to actually seal anything.

Thanks for the reply, i'll keep trying.

I saw matching isotherm gloves on a european site one time, but only like XXXS or something was available. Mares doesn't even list the isotherm boots on their website anymore..

I wear henderson hyperstretch without a zipper or velcro strap for gloves and boots. I actually wear them UNDER the seal. If you have small wrists/ankles that will help a lot and you won't have hardly any leakage. When I'm lazy or too hot I wear the gloves and boots on the outside of the seal. (but still under the cuffs) It seems impossible to get it right the first time but after a time or two you wont have a problem. I've dove my isotherm from the upper 30's to the upper 60's. When it is hot I just don't set the seals (i.e. I don't turn them under where the smooth part is against the skin) and let in a bit of water if I have too.
Once you get used to it and your gear configured comfortably the Mare's semi-dry essentially turns into a semi-dry without an airsource or relief valve.
Speaking of relief valve I found it very usefull to 'burp' the suit in the water just before descent. Hold your body as vertical as possible and break the neck seal (without letting in water) and let the air out. If you are going to be making a deep dive you may want to keep a portion of that air to minimize squeze at the deeper depths.

paulwlee once bubbled...
If it's at all possible, try to get the matching boots. The seals on the inside of the boots, along with the lack of a zipper to disrupt the seal, will result in near zero water exchange. Water does enter after a while, but it is a major improvement in comfort. This is especially useful if the ankle seals of your suit is not tight enough.

As for gloves, anything would do. I used to put my gloves between the seals and the zippered sleeve, but got tired of doing it all the time and started putting glove over the whole sleeve. As far as I know, there are no gloves with matching seals. The Mares gloves that seemed to be recommended with it has a widening wrist cuff that does have a smooth surface inside, but it is very wide and IMO not intended to actually seal anything.

How happy have you guys been with the Isotherm Millenium? I've been thinking about getting one for our diving here in the Channel Islands, but I can't find very many reviews about it. We usually dive in southern california waters, where it's between 55 and 65 at the suface.

Aside from a dry suit it's the next best thing to sliced bread. It is warm and can be bought for about $250 from L.P. and not much more from your LDS.

The suit fit much looser than the tight fitting wet suit and it's warmer. Cheaper than a drysuit, although it's not a dry suit.

Only drawbacks are that you need help to zip it up and squeze can become a problem at depth's >100 ft if you burp it completely. Although even then if you break a seal and let a trickle of ice cold water in it will relieve the squeze.

All in all I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom