What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What got me into SCUBA diving?
Bathing a lot as a kid, I guess..
I always wanted to go down there to have a closer look at all the things i could see from the surface, but I just couldnt get down to most of it without being able to get more air when down there. However there was no such thing as a diving instructor or a dive shop where I lived (or reasonably close).. So when I moved to the coast for a period of time, I decided that this is the time when I should get it done..

My wife got me into diving. In 2004 her cancer returned (org Breast Cancer) but now it was throughout her body. After trying several new treaments and WBR(Whole Brain Radiation), in April 2005 she was in remission. She and a mutual friend of ours got several of our other friends interested in a dive trip to Cozumel for Sept 2005.

I have always been very comfortable on the water; boating, skiiing; but not nearly as comfortable in the water. However, not knowing how long her cancer would stay away, we signed up for an OW class in July 05. Jacque had been cert. about 10 yrs ago, but had only a few dives. So she took the class with me. More for my confidence, than hers. About 2 to 3 weeks into the class, Jacque told me she had been having spells of dizziness and headaches. he cancer had returned again. It was in her brain, liver, and spine. Despite fighting the symptoms of progessing cancer, she completed my open water dives with me.

By the date of the Cozumel vacation, we knew that this would be our last adventure together. Jacque, Myself, and 3 of our closest friends, had the most wonderful time. I will never forget the joy on my wife's face after each dive. Despite Jacque being in constant pain, and rapidly progressing syptoms of metastic cancer, we completed 17 dives in 7 days in August 2005.

Jacque passed away Feb 25, 2006, but before she did she gave me the gift of diving. I just returned from diving Cozumel Feb 23 -27, 2007. It seemed like the place I should be, I think of her on every dive.

At age 19 (1975) I took a scuba course (not sure what agency back then) and I missed the one and only chance to do my checkout dives that year. Motocross took over scuba at that point. Three children and as many wives later, 2005 after 30 years I finally got certified. I always knew I would.

Back
Top Bottom