what happend to folly??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikeflip22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
last 2 times ive been to folly cove, i have been a little disappointed.
the visibility seems to just blatantly suck, to the point where its not even
worth the half hour hassle of gearing up to go in :[

its got to be all that rain, but i just wish it could clean up and whatnot.
the water felt great though, i probably could have gone in without a suit to
skindive.

bikeflip22:
, i probably could have gone in without a suit to skindive.

BRRRRRRR!!!!!

I havent heard a 'good' (+15') vis report in months from shore diving on Cape Ann. I think it has been turned up for quite a while...

If it's like alot of places the critters are just due to be getting home in a big way but the recent heavy rains have killed the salintity keeping the critters in deep water or killing them off all together.

Pete

That's unfortunate to hear about the conditions. was hoping to get up to Cape Ann on Saturday for a dive. Are any sites better than another?

thanks

I was at Folly last sunday and yes, viz wasn't great (about 10'). A problem there with all of the rain we have had is that a ton of fresh water has dumped into there. We did see critters however, although it seems most of the frilled anemones are gone. There is a freshwater streat or storm drain that dumps right into the cove and it has been roaring. If you tasted the water, it was fresh, not salty! There was a noticeable halocline too. At least in feb., the conditions there were ok--15-20' and lots of nudibranchs. I am going today, but likely to Pebble and hopefully since it hasn't rained (FINALLY) viz will be a little better.

I'm planning on Folly Cove on Wed. 6/21 with some friends. Anybody been there in the last few days?

I was at Folly just after all the major flooding and vis was amazing below 15' or so. Shallower than that was chocolate milk-like. There was still a little waterfall falling into the ocean at that point.

ya i went to folly cove yesterday and the day before that and hte viz was pretty good 10-15ft

64* F surface temp

Back
Top Bottom