What happened to the eye bubble test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I read somewhere a year or two ago maybe about pulling your buddy's bottom eyelid down and looking for bubbles in the crease - but nothing since. Just searched here and DAN, but couldn't find anything...??

My TDI Inst teaches to do this and if either of us have 3 bubbles, get on oxygen. Anyone know anything more?

I have never heard of such a thing, and I've had two different hyperbaric docs mess with me. So either it's brand new, or obsolescent.

Found it. Couldn't find it with the SB Search, but with a Google search of the web, came back to this forum: Bubbles Under Eye Lids here. It's even older than I thought, tho - was looking for more recent and comprehensive info.

2002 ain't old; shoot that's pretty recent. Due to the comments made by Doc Deco, it looks like you'll need a bit of training to check for this, and the symptoms are brief. I probably never heard about it 'cuz it doesn't seem all that useful.

archman:
2002 ain't old; shoot that's pretty recent. Due to the comments made by Doc Deco, it looks like you'll need a bit of training to check for this, and the symptoms are brief. I probably never heard about it 'cuz it doesn't seem all that useful.
We checked each other last weekend. I had one bubble one time, none the next. Didn't see any on him. But then, we were diving only 1 minute into deco on Navy air charts, but diving Nitrox for an edge, then doing more than the required stop.

In practice, only good vision should be needed, not a magnifying glass. May not be proof of safety, but if I ever do see 3 bubbles - Oxygen and a DAN phone call at least.

archman:
I have never heard of such a thing, and I've had two different hyperbaric docs mess with me. So either it's brand new, or obsolescent.

It was an observation made a few years ago by researchers who were bending snakes for somethingorother... Bent snakes had visible bubbles in their eyes and at the time people speculated that it could be a good field-diagnostic for divers. IIRC it had something to do with counting bubbles in teh eye-lids....

R..

PS....there I go again. Don already dug it up....

The link said between 20 and 30 bubbles...

If proofed this should be a very useful resource for those middle of nowere dives.

Last month I was diving on a lake that was a good 3 hours chopper ride from the nearest chamber. A diver surfaced from 100 feet in less than 30 secs cause by an OOA emergency, luckly he didn´t got bend.

Diver Dennis:
The link said between 20 and 30 bubbles...
My TDI Inst taught to look - if 3 or more bubbles visible to the naked (or corrected) eye observer - get on O2, at least.

Last month I was diving on a lake that was a good 3 hours chopper ride from the nearest chamber. A diver surfaced from 100 feet in less than 30 secs cause by an OOA emergency, luckly he didn´t got bend.
Yep, indeed - would have suggested O2 anyway. I hope he sit out 24 hours...?

We made him SIT for 24 hours and have him under close observation for that period...

I must say that we made him sit because he wanted to jump in for the last dive of the day.......

At that point I made a mental note to self.... Never dive with him again. :)

Back
Top Bottom