What I just learned about Laotian food.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmm... That's very wierd. Maybe it was something that shouldn't regularly do that, but it just went bad or something. I also have never heard of a sauce that didn't burn the tounge, but the whole way down. Maybe you should go back to the restaurant and ask the lady what it is.

And my experience with Southeast Asia is that all the countries are trying to say that they invented said object, and all the others copied off of them. When it comes to SE Asian history, I never know who to believe.

baltimoron:
And my experience with Southeast Asia is that all the countries are trying to say that they invented said object, and all the others copied off of them. When it comes to SE Asian history, I never know who to believe.

Well, when the sauce is name after a geographical location of where the original sauce was produced, it is a bit hard to claim otherwise. If you have Chicago sauce, most people would think that the sauce was created originally in Chicago, USA and not Canada, Japan or Mexico or whatever. As far as I know, there is only on Sri Racha town in SE Asia, in Thailand and not in Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam etc.
Of course I don't have a first hand knowledge that the Sri Racha company came up with its own recipe or if they steal it from someone else or inherit it as secret family recipe from descendant of other nationals or what. But if everyone is using the name that was created by that company, I assume that their recipe was at least authentic.

baltimoron:
hmm... That's very wierd. Maybe it was something that shouldn't regularly do that, but it just went bad or something. I also have never heard of a sauce that didn't burn the tounge, but the whole way down. Maybe you should go back to the restaurant and ask the lady what it is.

It did burn my tounge, but not as badly as it burned everything else.

It's possible it was bad. Who knows. It could have been or contained pretty much anything. I eat there all the time, and have had the red stuff before, with no ill effects, so I don't know what the deal was.

I did have some type of Thai soup once that had the same effect, where it didn't taste very spicy, but burned my throat something awful.

Maybe there's just some obscure ingredient I can't handle.

Because of the language barrier (they speak very little English), I'll probably never find out what it was. I'll just be sure to not eat it again.

Terry

Well, I went back yesterday and asked what it was.

The Evil Stuff is called "Sambal Oleck"

It's apparently just a big jar of ground up hot peppers. Everybody at the booth thought it was funny when I told them about my weekend. The owner said "yes, very hot!"

It would have been nice to get that advice ahead of time :cool:

Terry

Web Monkey:
Well, I went back yesterday and asked what it was.

The Evil Stuff is called "Sambal Oleck"

It's apparently just a big jar of ground up hot peppers. Everybody at the booth thought it was funny when I told them about my weekend. The owner said "yes, very hot!"

It would have been nice to get that advice ahead of time :cool:

Terry

Isn't that some Indonesian condiment with a bit of fishy stuff in it?

I believe it's good with noodles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom