What I LIKE About My LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Dude. They get it from your IP address. Sheesh!

And you have to have cookies enabled on your PC. If you use multiple PCs (like if you take your laptop on vacation) for fills, you have to set each one up separately. Although I have heard that they are working on some sort of server-based profile with SSL so that you don't have to worry about that anymore. Though that just may be vaporware (no pun intended).

David

Wayward Son:
Looks like the really good ones are in the minority. Either that, or people just like talking about the lousy ones more, LOL.

I think there's a fare number of people who would benefit from skill's seminars such as:

"10 Steps Toward Becoming a Smarter Consumer" - Murray Training Systems, Inc.

"Smart Shoppers are Happy Shoppers" - Ziglar Training Systems

"How to Choose a Speciality Retailer" - On-Line Consumer Report Card, Training and Education Programs

I think the reason you're hearing more people "grumble" is that sometimes it's easier to gurmble than it is to say something good about someone. But with that said, of the 4 local dive shops in my area, 3 of them don't provide the customer service level that they should give for charging "full list price" for a speciality store. Of those three, only one of the 3 actually has a decent amount in stock. The others their stock is basically "order as customer need" or it's a regulator that's been sitting on the shelf "new" for the past 3 years. The 4th store in my area actually keeps and rotates stock and has competitive pricing and also give good service. So it's an easy choice as to which one to use.

Just to add a penny's worth...........

No store is perfect and their employees are just ordinary people like you and me. The on-line retailers dig deeply into the profits of any local store.

A couple of months ago I was in my LDS looking at wetsuits. On the wall next to the wetsuits is where they hang their BC's. The store owner was back there with 2 guys and girl who were trying on different BC's and asking questions about this and that. I was getting a little impatient because I had wetsuit questions. The young lady was asking size questions and the owner laid the BC (Scubapro Ladyhawk) on the floor and was showing her how to made some size adjustments and etc.

Point is, They finally said to the owner "thanks for the help we need to go home and think about it." "We'll come back." After the owner left that area of the store the BC shoppers he was helping started to leave and I overheard one of them say "I'm going to get that Ladyhawk and I'm going to order it from LeisurePro as soon as I get home... it's $30 cheaper there.

Well at least she knows what size to order and at least we know why Leisurepro call sell it for $30 bucks less - they didn't have to put up with her and her friends.

Sometimes it's a bit hard to blame the LDS people for being defensive.

mike_s:
I think the reason you're hearing more people "grumble" is that sometimes it's easier to gurmble than it is to say something good about someone. But with that said, of the 4 local dive shops in my area, 3 of them don't provide the customer service level that they should give for charging "full list price" for a speciality store. Of those three, only one of the 3 actually has a decent amount in stock. The others their stock is basically "order as customer need" or it's a regulator that's been sitting on the shelf "new" for the past 3 years. The 4th store in my area actually keeps and rotates stock and has competitive pricing and also give good service. So it's an easy choice as to which one to use.

mike_s:
So it's an easy choice as to which one to use.

I meant it's an easy choice as to which shop to use locally.
I wasn't comparing it to internet sales.

I prefer to buy locally if I can, that way if I have a problem
I can take the items back and have good customer service.
But I know that's not the case everywhere. I do count
my self lucky that out of the 4 local shops, we have one
that doesn't have that "dive shop ego" going.

If I didn't have a good store to buy from, that was competitive
on price, then I wouldn't have a problem buying elsewhere.
So I can understand why people buy equipment elsewhere
when they have this problem.

As for the person who spend time with the shop manager
to find the BC that was the best fit for her and then to
go buy it from Leisure Pro for $30 bucks cheaper, that's
pretty crappy. On a big purchase item like that
for them to help you so much and then for you to
go somewhere else and buy it is pretty bad.

But the manager of the LDS told me once of a customer
who did something else I couldn't believe. She came in
the store and tried on a certain brand name product
and got her size and then asked if she could use his
phone and she called Leisure Pro on "his phone" and
checked to see if they had her size in stock. I think
she also ordered it from LP at the same time. Now
I think that was pretty crappy of her. He doesn't
need customers liker her anyway.

My LDS just gave me a reason to stay around even more. They have beat the cheapest price on a farmer john and jacket henderson by 100$ cheaper than multiple online sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom