What if---?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with most of the above. I'm fairly new to diving (25 dives, 15 of which in sidemount, learned sidemount on my own). So I think I know EXACTLY what you mean with "all the rigging", I was really scared the first time, what I thought was right was actually close to 5 cm to low! Then the next dive I ended up too high again. 7 dives later I realized how to do it, and just carry anything that could act as measure tape. Grab some nylon cord, measure quickly from armpit to hip on yourself, that's the length from the extension port (not sure that's the name, but where you wrap the bungee around) to the steel band (and thus roughly where your boltsnap is, more or less 1 cm).
That gives an "about right" setup for the steel band.

For the other "bits of rigging", there's actually nothing that takes time, 2 hose retainers and a small nylon cord loop to put around the tank neck. The full setup is done in 2 minutes even by someone who's fairly new and unexperienced.

As for the "as with a standard scuba rig", am I the only one that never knew what height I should put the camband during my first training dives?

If you're swapping from one tank to the same model, just put them next to each other, grab a pencil (that's what you have a slate for) and put a few quick marks. Once you're done, remove them so nobody can notice you're a noob :wink:

I agree with most of the above. I'm fairly new to diving (25 dives, 15 of which in sidemount, learned sidemount on my own). So I think I know EXACTLY what you mean with "all the rigging", I was really scared the first time, what I thought was right was actually close to 5 cm to low! Then the next dive I ended up too high again. 7 dives later I realized how to do it, and just carry anything that could act as measure tape. Grab some nylon cord, measure quickly from armpit to hip on yourself, that's the length from the extension port (not sure that's the name, but where you wrap the bungee around) to the steel band (and thus roughly where your boltsnap is, more or less 1 cm).
That gives an "about right" setup for the steel band.

OR, you take a class with Edd Sorenson or someone else highly qualified and 5-10 minutes in the water and you're golden!

As for the "as with a standard scuba rig", am I the only one that never knew what height I should put the camband during my first training dives?
YES. I was back mount single only for my first 16 dives and never got comfortable with where that should be. my 17th dive, SM training, was the first time I was ever truly comfortable in the water. Mind BLOWN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom