What in the undersea world is this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We call them Goose fish. They are famous for swallowing just about anything they can get in their mouth. A professor in college kept a frozen one they collected that had a the wing of a Black-back gull sticking out of its mouth. Didn't thick they would eat Russians, but what do I know?

Nice video. I agree, you need to include where it was encountered.

It's always important to say what part of the world in which it was seen.

If it were Philippines environs, reminds me of what the locals called Alligator Fish, but I've never seen them moving.

Where was the video made?

I have no idea unfortunately. It is something I found on Facebook.

The video is signed by a diving center on the northern point of Sardinia. i.e. in the Mediterranean.

It's definitely some kind of anglerfish, but doesn't look exactly like the one that caught the diver in the other video (that video is taken in Norway, BTW). The colors are a little off, and the dorsal fin looks different from that of the monkfish we have in our waters. Yes, they're delicious, and no, don't stuff your hand into its mouth. It has a lot of teeth which are needle-like and all pointing inwards, so if your hand gets stuck, you'll have a bit of a job getting loose (ref. the unlucky/ignorant Slavic guy). When we spear them, we like to cut the lower jaw half off, severing one of the jaw joints completely to ensure against sticky situations like that. That's after we've killed them and gotten them off the spear, of course. And they're really delicious. I prefer to grill or pan-fry them. The meat is firm with a lobster-like taste and goes extremely well with a white wine and cream sauce. The offal doesn't just smell like for fish in general, it stinks. So you want to gut and clean it as quickly as practically possible to ensure the best quality of your food.

The North Atlantic monkfish can become as big as a man, so even if they're rather docile before you spear them, you can get quite a fight. They're also experts in camouflage, so spotting them as they lie on the bottom waiting for their prey isn't easy. The preferred tool is a pole spear and/or a suitable knife (i.e. not the GUE-approved mini knife...). I use two knives, my son uses a pole spear and a knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom