What is a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

INHO, if you go into a liquid environment that requires life support equipment and you stay for a time period that requires the use of that equipment, it’s a logable dive. :wink:

Gary D.

Sweeeet!!!!

I thought I had logged only 96 dives, but according to this logic, I have.... let's see..... each time I draw a breath from my reg counting as one dive...., that would make it....at 8 breaths per minute and each dive averaging 40 minutes....ummm....

30,720 dives!!!

Woot - woot!!!

:cheerleader:

I've always used the 20 min to a depth of at least 20 ft, although if I dive to 20 ft it may be 2+ hours on my current tank.

My SSI aowd instructor told me that if a dive takes at least 10 minutes, then one can log it. I'm sure there are also certain depth restrictions, but I don't know the exact number.

Actually, SSI states that a 15 minute dive at a 15 foot depth followed by a 15 minute surface interval consitutes the minimum requirements to consider the event a "dive." Each agency has to define a dive somehow, so they all put down what they feel is the most logical definition. All of these definitions can probably be manipulated to rack up dive numbers if that is ones goal. I agree with the previous post somewhere upstream, "if you have to wonder if that should be counted as a dive, it probably shouldn't." If you are trying to pad your logbook with dives, just do it in front of the tv during commercials. Save a lot of time. :wink:

It's important to keep in mind that there are two reasons to log. I think someone might have mentioned this earlier.

There is the need to log dives to show some required level of experience or competence. Number of dives is often used as one piece of objective criteria to determine that a diver has achieved some prerequisite level of experience. When using such a metric, the agency in question would have to define what they call a dive for the specific intended use of that metric.

The other reason to log is for your own records, memory and pleasure. Since the audience for this type of logging is you, guess who gets to define what constitutes a dive? :D Most divers eventually end up in this group and the concern over what constitutes a "loggable" dive quickly vanishes.

Sweeeet!!!!

I thought I had logged only 96 dives, but according to this logic, I have.... let's see..... each time I draw a breath from my reg counting as one dive...., that would make it....at 8 breaths per minute and each dive averaging 40 minutes....ummm....

30,720 dives!!!

Woot - woot!!!

:cheerleader:
Not only was the point missed here but the broad side of the barn was missed.

Suit up go to depth breathing compressed air or what ever you want as a life support medium. Stay down longer than you could remain alive without the outside breathing source. Return to the surface get unsuited, wait a while and repeat the above.

If you can't live on your own without some life support for the duration you're down it's diving.:wink:

Gary D.

This is an interesting conversation. 2 months ago I accompanied my wife while she did her AOW dives at Blue Hole, New Mexico. While there, a person was going after some certification but did not have enough logged dives. He then proceeded to log 10 dives on Saturday and 10 dives on Sunday. Now these dives were hovering 10 to 20 feet for a very short period of time, climbing out of the water, walking a small circle and going back in. The longest surface interval was to change tanks. Just to log dives for a certification? I just don’t get it. I went down with my wife on some of her dives so she would have a dive buddy. Didn’t log any of those. We figured up, I have 28 “dives” at the Blue Hole with only the first 5 OW logged. Oh well, obviously my definition of a dive is different than someone else’s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom