What is a good dive shop in Monterey, CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, all I can go on is that on both boat dives (reserved through a Monterey shop) we had no drysuit divers, on either - that prompted my question to the captain as to why not. Anyway, I was there in June, so that may have been a factor.

rhlee:
I don't personally know *anybody* that dives Monterey regularly in a wetsuit. Sure, you'll see people around in wetsuits, but the regular crowd almost exclusively dives dry.

I know a couple, and only a couple, of semi-regular wetsuit divers in Monterey.
I know a LOT of drysuit divers that are there EVERY weekend, including myself.

Depends on the boat and trip I suspect. I know that on my own boat it's >> 90%
drysuits. But then it's just me and Adm. Linda usually and we both dive dry. I would
NEVER EVER go back to a wetsuit. I'll dive a leaky drysuit (dampsuit) rather than my
pretty good 7mm three layers wetsuit (did so on Sunday -- tore the seal on the good
drysuit getting out of it on Saturday).

Now, the OP was looking for a good Monterey dive shop. There are four, and I don't
think any are bad. There's a list of bay area dive shops (inc. Monterey) at
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/ Me, I mostly deal with Aquarius on Del Monte in Monterey
and Any Water Sports in San Jose. Dunno who would do a rental dry suit class.

Right from Chuck's webpage:

The diving in Monterey is world-class and incredibly rich in marine life. Compared to the tropics, the water is cold and the viz usually not as good. However, it's all relative: one transplanted Brit says that Monterey has warm water and good vis.

Water temp is typically 50F (10C), can be as low as 44F, as high as 57F. Probably 70% of the divers on any given day wear wetsuits, 10% semidrys, 20% drysuits. It's probably more like 50, 15, 35 measured by number of dives (dry suit divers do more dives per day and dive more days). Wetsuits are typically 7 mm farmer john, jacket, and hood. More experienced wetsuit divers wear a 3 mm or 7 mm hooded vest instead of the hood. The every-weekend divers almost universally wear drysuits.

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/newmontereydiver.html

I dove Monterey at the Breakwater site (shore diving- not boat) 8-19-05. Water temp was 52-55 degrees. I wore my regular ol' 7-6-5 wetsuit (7 mil over the torso, 6 mil in the upper arms and legs, 5 mil lower arms and legs), 5 mil gloves, 5 mil hood. The water was SHOCKINGLY cold- when you dive a quarry to those temps, you at least start out with 65-70 degree water and get cold more gradually.

Despite the SHOCKING cold, I LOVED my dives. It was one of the most amazing dive sites I've been to- including Cozumel and Oahu, Hawaii.

If it matters, I am ALWAYS cold when diving. I wear my 7-6-5 in the quarries and I often will wind up too chilled to do a 3rd dive. It's my nature. And I enjoyed the Monterey diving in my wetsuit despite the chill.

I do not recommend the Monterey Bay Dive Center- who I paid to have a personal DM guide. That was my pre-SB days and so I had to buy a dive buddy! I was none-to-impressed with the DM . And they charged the full rate for a one-to-one ratio even though they asked me to double up with another client. My fault for not realizing that and allowing the charge.

**edited** it was brought to my attention that my pre-edited post might step into the realm of violating the TOS. Thus- I've removed my phrase. I will say that the DM from MBDC was guiding me and also another certified diver who hadn't been diving in several years. The DM pretty much left us behind and swam back- which surprised me since we were paying him to be our guide. The other diver's weight belt (rented- along with full gear from the shop) came off. It's a good thing I had decided to follow behind this other diver- the DM was MIA for IMO too long after I grabbed the suddenly rising diver and got him to the sea floor so he could put his belt back on. We were close to the sea floor when the belt came off- so that made things easier. Eventually the DM did come back to lend a hand. When you are paid to watch someone, you have a whole new set of responsibilities. I will also say that for the MBDC's sake, I hope he was not representative of their staff.

If this info is a violation of TOS please let me know. Thanks.

daniel f aleman:
One of the best around:

http://www.aquariusdivers.com/

Two piece 7mm wetsuits are the norm, like a Farmer Jane over a full jumpsuit. As far a drysuit diving, it's not done very much at all by local recreational divers - but you can get a class set up.

I agree completely with Daniel. I had the priviledge to dive with Bruce and his wife Wesley, current owners of Aquarius, back in May of '06. Great people and they run a very nice shop.

If you were to take anyone's advice I would take Chuck's... He's the Godfather of diving in Monterey.... Dive there Sat and Sun almost every weekend...

Read his New To Monterey Diving page....

Doing a Drysuit class would be a good way to get an instructor to dive with you, rent a drysuit, and get a small taste of what our diving is like over here.

Ben_ca:
If you were to take anyone's advice I would take Chuck's... He's the Godfather of diving in Monterey.... Dive there Sat and Sun almost every weekend...

I will second that......though Ben, you've got a few of them in your logbook too buddy! :wink:

This has been my first year diving in Monterey, and I have been very comfortable in 46 degree water wearing a 7mm jumpsuit (Pinnacle) with a 7mm hooded vest. The only time I was cold was a 48 degree repetitive dive at Eric's Pinnacle when my hands got chilly in 3mm gloves.

However. most of the people I see who dive Monterey with regularity are in drysuits.

zen_man:
I will second that......though Ben, you've got a few of them in your logbook too buddy! :wink:

I'm just a humble Cyber diver.... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom