What is everything I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everybody!

I am new to this forum and forums in general so sorry if you've seen this type of post a thousand time but heres my situation. I am in the navy and doing some over seas time in Bahrain ive been diving a few times before and got certified back in the states but now am trying to get very serious about it. I am trying to put together a rig of my own that will last me a while but not break the bank. I have got a very nice dive computer (Atomic Cobalt) I am coming to you guys asking what is everything i will need and maybe if you could make some recommendations that would be amazing. Thankyou all for reading!

Of course it depends on what you already own and where you want to dive. Warm water only or also in more colder climates zones.
Basic: Finns, boots, mask. Wetsuit depending on the water temperature, might be a shorty for the tropics or a 2-3 mm full suit (I don't like shorties as I bump in to everything while climbing in to ships etc), 5 mm or 2x7 mm when it gets cooler) and for the winter time it would be a dry suit. Then there is a regulator and a buoyancy device like a BCD or BP/W. I use the latter, but a BCD is easy to handle when starting out. Also get a knife or a cutting device. Of course if you do not only dive while on holidays you need a tank and weight, either on a belt or otherwise. The amount of weight varies with the set-up from 0-12 kg so that is hard to say at this time.

Hi Nate
Welcome... :)
On a typical dive I will have all of the basics along with a computer, compass, light and knife.
My BCD of choice is a backplate and wing. I'm cheap so I put together my own rigs. They are very safe and function exactly as I need. I find good backplates cheap. I buy 2" webbing by the foot. Then I assemble my rigs as needed with the appropriate , backplate, wing and hardware. I use a steel backplate for cold water and tech diving because of its weight and strength. I use an aluminum backplate for warm water and travel because it's lighter. I have a bunch of "D" rings and string them on where needed(6-8 "D" rings for me). I dive single tanks and double tanks and use the same rigs. With single tanks, I add an STA(single tank adapter) with bands, however most backplates allow the bands to be added without the adapter... :) The size of my wing will match the tank(s) being used. Normally it's a 30lb or a 60lb wing, but I've been known to use whatever I happen to find a deal on as long as it's enough lift for the dive. You can go to Dive Gear Express | Equipment for Experienced Divers and check out the info they have posted on their website to help you out. I do a lot of training and what I find is that my equipment configurations are typically similar to my instructors and others I dive with. What's nice is that I now configure, with confidence, my rig and gear to match my dive. An example is kayak diving. I have a rig that's stripped down and very simple as I need to put it on and take it off in the water where most of the time there is a strong current and I need to be quick. Perhaps you'll be able to find a deal on some gear over there? Many people are getting into rebreathers and will sell their OC(open circuit) gear cheap! Enjoy yourself... dive, dive, dive and have a blast... then go do some more diving!

Well, a lot depends on where you are diving.

Obviously, you need a good fitting mask and a good set of fins. I like paddle fins, and prefer elastic or spring straps.

For most diving locations, you need exposure protection, but what you use depends on where you dive. If you're diving tropical water, you might need nothing or a thin wetsuit. For cooler water, a thicker suit, hood, and gloves might be needed. For cold water, a dry suit, heavy hood, and perhaps a dry glove system. You need to be able to keep your core temperature close to normal throughout the length of your dive.

You need a buoyancy compensator. This is one of the most contentious topics on SB. Manufacturers make these things bigger, bulkier and fancier all the time, and charge big prices for them. Many of us prefer a very minimal system, with a rigid plate and a separate air bladder, and a very simple harness.

You need a way to carry weights. This can vary from a simple webbing belt to weight holders built into your buoyancy compensator. Some people prefer integrated weights -- I don't, because I like having all my heavy things in different places, to make the gear easy to move around. But I dive cold water with a lot of weight. Warm water diving is much easier that way, because you carry so little. Whatever weight system you use, it should be retain the weight securely until it is released, and should be easy to release when wanted.

You need a regulator. There really aren't any bad ones being sold new -- watch out for used gear, because some regulators are no longer supported by their manufacturer, and cannot be serviced.

That's your basic package. Accessories, like lights, cutting devices, options for writing, signaling devices and so on vary with the type of diving you do. Spend some time perusing the equipment threads on this board -- you will find out that there are as many opinions about each of those things as there are divers writing about them.

There is one thread I think is worth spending some time on, and it's entitled, "What did you buy that you regret?" If you can get past the references to engagement rings, you'll see there are some common themes in things people bought and later thought better of. You can save yourself some money by not going through the steps.

Wow thankyou everybody so much for taking to time to write these extensive replies! ctwreck I am looking into the building my own system idea and its very interesting, I dont know if i would trust me self enough just yet to put my own rig together though. However in the future i am going to favorite that and look into it when i start to get the flow of things more!

TsandM and sphyrnidus, Just a few questions. For the regulator I am looking at getting The package below. From the research i have done so far and taking everyones advice into consideration i felt this may be a good fit. any thoughts?
http://www.divers-supply.com/Edge-Epic-Regulator-Best-Buy-with-Extras-Package-P110949.aspx
In regards to fins I would love to do freediving and spearfishing. Would freediving fins work for normal scuba if im just trying to save a few bucks?

Thanks again Everybody for the quick replies and I hope to hear from you guys again soon on this site :)

I would love to do freediving and spearfishing. Would freediving fins work for normal scuba if im just trying to save a few bucks?

Free diving could save you a ton of "a few bucks." Do what you'd love to do first. That might be all you need or want.

For the regulator I am looking at getting The package below. From the research i have done so far and taking everyones advice into consideration i felt this may be a good fit. any thoughts?
Sea Elite is the Divers Supply house brand and all service is done thru them exclusively. They're pretty generic but you may/may not be able to find parts for them overseas. Or someone who can/will work on it.

Upgrade the octo to an Edge or maybe an inexpensive Mares or Cressi. They're far more universal in parts availability. I see that Divers Supply also has Hog 2nds for $109, those should work also since they're the tech side of Edge. Put a yellow hose cover on it to designate it as an Octo. Although performance wise it might be the better of the two 1st stages.

Check in the Edge forum here to be certain this will work since I don't know the brand. [user]cerich[/user] owns the company.

The other concern with Hog/Edge would be parts availability in Bahrain - or authorized service centers. They have a dealer locator on their website so you might check. It's a newer brand so they don't have an extensive dealer network yet outside of the U.S.

Last edited:
Go free diving.

There are some excellent replies above. I will try to contribute...

now am trying to get very serious about it.

I am sorry to hear that. It will cost a lot :D

I am trying to put together a rig of my own that will last me a while but not break the bank.

You may want a metal backplate and a wing. It is an Economical Choice. It ban be used both for single and double tanks. I have heard from those that do backmount diving that both Halcyon and the Swedish Agir Brokk are wonderfull (but expensive) and that you only need to purchase them once :wink: If you have limited funds you may only want to do this purchase once. Or you could settle with a lesser, yet perfectly diveable, product.

Jetfins are good (at least for drysuit divers). Some bold people dare to get the white or yellow Poseidons, though. I am really not familiar with wetsuits, so no comments on wetsuit fins.

In addition to the backplate and wing (which ever brand) you will need your own first stage(s) and second stages. Apeks is good. Don't know if it is economical in your country... but at least you won't need to replace them... ever... Many people talk about some "HOG" regulators. Don't know them. Not known in my country.

Freediving is lovely. The quietness. The lack of gear. The relaxation. The low cost. The comradeship is also great. You'll know that you are taken care of after your record attempt, even if you loose your consciousness after surfacing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom