what is little cayman like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcornet

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello out there! Has anyone been to Little Cayman recently that can give me some suggestions about diving there? Where to stay, who to dive with,etc...

Welcome to :sblogo:..and :newyear:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Good to have you here with us. You will find answers to most of your questions here. This is a great place to meet people in your local area to dive with. Enjoy the board.

bcornet:
Hello out there! Has anyone been to Little Cayman recently that can give me some suggestions about diving there? Where to stay, who to dive with,etc...

Little Cayman is one little quiet Island. In the last few years they have tarred the runway, it used to be grass. There is one place to eat on the Island besides the resort and that would be the Hungry Iquana. The resorts are Little Cayman Beach resort, Southern Cross Club and Pirates Point. There are also some condos to stay in near the Little Cayman Beach resort. The diving is some of the best that the Caribbean has.
Off the north wall the distance to the top of the reef from the surface is under twenty feet, the drop off is over a thousand. There is seldom any current, the viz. is usually near 100 ft. There is only diving and bird watching on the Island, there is no night life (except night dives). The stars on a night dive can be spectacular, it is proported that you can see the sothern cross (star formation) from here, which is normally seen in the southern hemisphere. In one word it is a "quiet" place. We like quiet, so for us it is a delight.
If you are going to (LC) don't count on a busy-shopping-night life experince, be prepared to slow down, listen to the sounds of nature, enjoy diving to it's fullest (in the Caribbean) and relax.

LC has some of the best diving in the Caribbean -- Bloody Bay Wall is one of those diving destinations that should be on any reef/wall divers list of must-see locations.

We've stayed a few times at LCBR -- typical day is breakfast, two tank boat dive. Lunch, one tank boat dive, dinner, hang out at bar. In between, there are some other water sports (kayaks, etc) you can try, you can go to the bird sanctuary (they have bikes you can borrow to get around -- there are no rental cars on LC), or you can hang in the pool or hot tub.

The food is great at LCBR --and the desserts are even better.

I've read that there is a significant baggage limit for the flight from Grand to Little Cayman. Is this true? My dive bag weighs a solid 48 pounds alone.

I'm starting to plan a Cayman trip in May. Are these the only resorts on LC? I need to find a resort that provides in the room high-speed Internet access - no choice about it, despite my wishes otherwise - so I'm looking for one that is wired up.

What are your opinions on the various resorts? Any experiences you can relate?

yes there is a limit, typical small plane thing.

"When traveling to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman via the Twin Otter Service; Baggage allowance is 55 lbs per person and only one 15 lb carry-on, any excess will be charged $.50 US per pound."

I don't think we've ever paid from GC->LC, but usually on the way back. They will get your stuff there but if you're on a full flight you might wind up getting some on a later flight.

yes, those are the only resorts. (well there's also Sam McCoy's.) I think LCBR and PP have wireless, no idea of speed.

Little Cayman is as described, quiet, with great diving and no night life. There is also great snorkeling at Point of Sand.

Yes, there are car rentals. MacLaughlins does rent cars.

LCBR does have "high speed" internet.

You can also stay that the Conch Club Condos.

If you want a laidback trip, that is it.

I was in Little Cayman in July of 06.. Bloody Bay was as fantasic. Actually most of the dive sites were great.. When we were there the limit was 50 lbs total per person and 50 cents for every pound after that. We DID also pay on the way back from Little Cayman to Grand Cayman... We stayed at Sam McCoys. I Would not recommand stay there. Their website last a picture of a dock.. But they do not have one and shore diving is VERY hard from their place.. Not much to do but Dive, we did 3 a day, and relax but nothing wrong with that... Plan on going back in the future..

Back
Top Bottom