what is little cayman like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paradise Villas is also located on LC. The have high speed internet access although the router is in the office. I usually had to go over to the office and sit on the porch to get a decent connection....although sometimes I could connect from the porch of the villa.

Marc and Sabine run the place and they are great hosts IMO. I have not been there since the diving operation changed to being being handled by LCBR but everything I have read still says it is a top notch operation.

Oh please stop.... The waiting is torture :eyebrow:

Everything I have read about Little Cayman has been great. The good news for me, in two weeks I will be settling in at LCBR getting ready for a great week of diving. It will be a nice change of pace after doing a local dive last wekend in 35 degree water. :D

I will post some kind of a trip report when I get back.

Hi bcornet,

I just posted most of this info on another Cayman thread, but let me list it here for the benefit of you and other posters:

We (family of 4, 2 parents, and 2 children, 18 and 20) just returned from Little Cayman (4 nights) and Grand Cayman (5) and had the best trip out of half dozen trips to the Caribbean over the past 4 yrs (also did a trip to Fiji in '05). There is spectacular diving on both islands, with Bloody Bay Wall on LC rating as probably our all time favorite dive site and island as well.

Little Cayman Beach Resort http://www.littlecayman.com/ has rooms, as well as condos at The Club and Conch Club. It is an excellent place to stay with well trained, pleasant and courteous staff. We upgraded from a 2 bedroom at Conch Club to a 3 bedroom at The Club and felt it was one of the best places we have ever stayed in the Caribbean as well as East Coast U.S. beaches. Very convenient to walk to LCBR for meals, entertainment. Nice little grocery store in the island has plenty of food, and we purchased breakfast items, as well as snacks, and drinks. We rode bikes just about every where. After purchasing our groceries and drinks, the owner of the booze store gave me a ride with all of our supplies back to our condo.

3 bedroom 1 floor (upper) ocean front condo with porch was wonderful. Great views, nice outdoor hot tub and pool.

We ate breakfast and some lunches at condo and all our dinners at various resorts, which pick you for free. Food was very good at LCBR and we also ate excellent food at Pirate's Point (Gladys Howard studied under Julia Child), a great Friday buffet at Southern Cross, and Hungry Iguana, across the street from the airport.

LC is an amazing island with the Caribbean on one side and a long pond on the other which is the largest red footed bobie nesting site in Western hemisphere. 10 miles long and 1 mile wide at it's widest, with 100 residents and around 100 tourists. The entire island seems like one huge nature preserve. We rented a car the last day and spent a couple hours driving around the island on a well maintained road.

The diving on LC rocks!!! Reef Divers http://www.littlecayman.com/diving/dive_shop.php has several 42' Newton custom dive boats that are the largest and most powerful on the island. All of the dive resorts are on the southwest side of LC and we were the only dive shop that was able to get out one day to the Bloody Bay Wall on the north side.

The sites on BBW and Jacksons Bight are unbelievable. The boat moors in 20 to 35' or so, while the stern is sitting over the 6,000 foot wall. Divers dive their own profiles, so you can dive on top of the wall, 100 or so feet down, or inside the wall parallel to the shore (which is never more than a couple hundred yards away), with very healthy coral heads, sand, turtles, rays, eels, reef fish, etc. The wall is breath taking, covered up and down with large, healthy, colorful hard and soft corals as far as the eye can see.

You leave the dock around 8:15 a.m., arrive back at the dock for lunch around 12:30 - 12:45 p.m., and leave for an afternoon dive around 1:50 p.m.

Nitrox is readily available and once you leave your equipment with the dive shop, the only thing you do is rinse your wetsuit, mask, and fins and hang them to dry in their large storage area, test your nitrox, and label your tanks. Pick up your suit, etc. in the morning and dive, dive, dive....

I can't say enough good things about our experience on LC! Even our children, who tend to prefer a fair amount of night life, thought LC was one of their favorite trips ever. They enjoyed bar hopping on their bikes, and even slept for a few hours one night on the hammocks at the end of the dock at the Club. It's a very safe, beautiful place with friendly people and incredible diving.....

Try Paradise Villas (www.paradisevillas.com) we went there twice last year and found it great, definitely the best dive operation on the island. You are minutes from the shops (such as they are), there are free bikes and they will provide basic cooking facilities. What you see on the website is pretty much how it is.
McCoy's is an experience, I stayed there 14 years ago and I swear the place looks exactly the same (if a lot more run down) now.

MRed- saw your post and for the life of me I can't find the "local forums" to read about Little Cayman. This post was under "Cayman Islands" so you must be referring to a sub thread or a different forum.
I'd love to get in there as I'm planning a trip to Little Cayman and don't want to ask questions that have been answered.
How do I get to the "local forum" for Little Cayman?
Is there a secret handshake?
Thanks for any help. I'm still green at navigating the boards!
Susan

My wife and I have stayed in LC during Jan for the past 6 years. We stay at Paradise Villas, www.paradisevillas.com, a small resort with 12 units in 6 waterfront villas next to the Hungry Iguana restaurant. Resort managers Marc and Sabine are wonderful and provide for every need. PV is less busy than LCBR and Southern Cross, and I have heard good things about both. PV dives with Conch Club divers, which picks you up and brings you to LCBR where the boat (Sea-esta) docks. My wife and I don't like all inclusive, which is what you get with LCBR,SC, and Pirates Point. I have heard nothing good about McCoys. We get our expensive groceries from the market, a <5 min walk, and cook in every other day. Food at the Hungry Iguana is good, and somewhat less expensive than the other resorts; but Little Cayman is expensive. Try to travel to LC without an overnight in GRand, where the cheapest hotel is $250 US. Frozen meats at the market are usually good. Nothing grows on LC, so all food is brought in by barge or air. All locals hit the market on barge day. Other reports are accurate about LC life-style. People who rent a Conch Club condo, very nice but more expensive than PV, which is very good, also dive with Conch Club Divers. CCD divemasters are very good and atttentive. The boat is a 42 ft. Newton, with head, camera table, Hot freshwater shower, and lots of room.

hynan:
Try to travel to LC without an overnight in GRand, where the cheapest hotel is $250 US.

That is simply incorrect. Google Eldemire's, Harbour Heights, Comfort Suites or Sunshine Suites and you will find out why.

nipi:
That is simply incorrect. Google Eldemire's, Harbour Heights, Comfort Suites or Sunshine Suites and you will find out why.
Nipi,

I don't mean to be difficult or misleading, but in Jan we had a flight delayed out of Chicago to LC, which meant an overnight in GC. My wife went to hotels.com, and the cheapest room rate for that night was $250. Obviously, my experience was limited to booking with little advance notice. But I did just google comfort suites (where we stayed) and the cheapest room rate for tommorrow was $210 + the 20% tax= $252. I would hope that less expensive hotels could be found on GC, and I will use your hotel recommendations if this happens to us again.

Back
Top Bottom