What is "muck diving"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh wow, I've been so wrong. I thought it was like Tulamben, Bali, where there is much macro biodiversity and fairly shallow. I like currents and walls and big stuff better, myself. Another "muck diving" example (I thought) would be hunting Mandarin's off Sam's dock, in Palau.

(Around Louisiana, it's all muck diving, I think -- we don't have a bottom, we have a "siltocline".)

TeddyDiver:
When you can't really tell when you did actually hit the bottom.

I get wreck dives like that.

TeddyDiver:
When you can't really tell when you did actually hit the bottom.
I descended on a dive where I realized I was on the bottom because my light went out as it passed through the soft silt layer. I lifted my hand up and my light miraculously re-appeared and then was engulfed in the disturbed silt. I have to admit that the narcosis made it a little confusing. :D

"Muck" is hard to describe... but, trust me... you'll know it when yer' stuck in it... :rofl3:

Almost every inland lake Ive been in is muck,including Oklahoma where the residue from the chicken farms in Arkansas comes downstream to muck up the waters in Oklahoma,now thats MUCK!

catherine96821:
Oh wow, I've been so wrong. I thought it was like Tulamben, Bali, where there is much macro biodiversity and fairly shallow.
I'm not so sure that this is "wrong." This description is somewhat similar to the "muck diving" at Lembeh, Indonesia (at least what I've read). Could it be that different parts of the world have different ideas of what muck diving is?

do it easy:
I descended on a dive where I realized I was on the bottom because my light went out as it passed through the soft silt layer. I lifted my hand up and my light miraculously re-appeared and then was engulfed in the disturbed silt. I have to admit that the narcosis made it a little confusing. :D
Now THIS would creep me out... :shakehead

CAPNVINNY:
... residue from the chicken farms in Arkansas comes downstream to muck up the waters in Oklahoma...
Ahh... so some muck diving does come close to literal, dictionary definition of muck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom