What is required gear for boat dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ew1usnr

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't been out on a comercial dive boat in years. I spoke with a friend who had gone out on a boat for an open water dive in the Keys this past week. The boat captain told him that the ONLY piece of required equipment was a pressure gauge.

Is that typical? I had been under the impression that an auto-inflator and octopus were requirements. Or are those recommended, but not required? Do any dive boats make computers a requirement now (for ordinary open water diving)? Do boats make any requirement as to BC type? What about compasses?

I know that different boats in different locations will have different requirements. I live in Florida.

All of the boats I have been on in WPB and the Keys have required a BC/inflator and an octo. Some of the boats require 2 lights for night dives some just one.

Only thing I would use from them is a tank....

bmuise once bubbled...
Only thing I would use from them is a tank....

Boats used to only have tanks with fittings for yoke regulators. Not a problem because I have yoke-type regulators. But what does a diver with a DIN regulator do when he goes on boats? Does he have to bring a yoke adapter with him, or do boats carry a mix of yoke and DIN tanks?

is what is important.

As divers we should be self-reliant in the water and prepared for every contingency. If you were to take the hearsay from your friend as gospel, you would be woefully under-prepared for diving period, let alone diving from a boat.

Generally you need your usual dive gear, including BC, weight system, alternate air source, proper exposure protection, u/w timing device, etc. However, you also should have several signalling devices like a whistle (Fox 40 is great), a mirror, and a safety sausage that is visible in most wave conditions. Some people also carry a small light in a BC pocket. It doubles as a "lookit under that overhang" tool and night time signalling device.

And the best thing to use for gear on the diveboat is as small a dive duffel as you can get your gear into, NOT one of those huge rolling beasties. There are a wide variety of good mesh bags out there that will hold everything you will use during your dive. And when they are empty, they stow compactly & neatly under the benches that most dive boats use.

Does that help at all?

SubMariner once bubbled...
is what is important.
However, you also should have several signalling devices like a whistle (Fox 40 is great), a mirror, and a safety sausage that is visible in most wave conditions. Does that help at all?

Yea, thanks. My brother showed me that he uses a cd (a free AOL compact disc) as a mirror. He also has a safety sausage that is rolled into a little package. It would be a bummer for the dive boat to not be able to see you. That could happen very easily if there were any swells.

I usually make beach dives (where I have a flag float) and swim in spring basins where this isn't as much of an issue.

On the standard waiver that seems to have been copied by many Florida Keys operators there is a requirement for a snorkel. This is the only place that I've seen this as a requirement.

A small kid's snorkel in my BC pocket keeps them happy.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
On the standard waiver that seems to have been copied by many Florida Keys operators there is a requirement for a snorkel.

Oooh. The snorkel. I actually forgot about that. Thanks!

You know, I carry a snorkle in my dive bag but except for Canada, I have never been asked if I have one!

I've been on boats that require a "Dive Alert" and "Safety Sausage / Lift Bag". I think they are a good idea, even if not required:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom