What is that little "black box" data logger called

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "added safety" is a claim that's made on the basis of the information this device can provide for the treatment of dive injuries at a chamber. There's a number of chambers (worldwide) that have been fitted out with software and cradles for downloading data from a Sensus or Sensus Pro in the event of a diver being brought in for treatment with one - provides valuable profile data to the chamber operator rather than a witness saying "he was gone for about 40 minutes and then he went unconcious when he got back on the boat".

Another neat feature is the PDA software - you can download profiles to a PDA between dives if you're doing some more hardcore dive planning.

There is provision to add tank volume, starting and end pressures to calculate SAC in the desktop software. Just like Suunto Dive Manager, you need to know the volume/capacity and working pressure of the tank, in addition to the start/end pressure. It is not AI integrated.

The only downside is that the supplied velcro is not the most secure - someone reported on the California forum a few weeks ago that they had lost one. I sell these, and recommend to people that they attach a small boltsnap with a ziptie or caveline, and carry it in a pocket.

Scubaroo:
The "added safety" is a claim that's made on the basis of the information this device can provide for the treatment of dive injuries at a chamber. There's a number of chambers (worldwide) that have been fitted out with software and cradles for downloading data from a Sensus or Sensus Pro in the event of a diver being brought in for treatment with one - provides valuable profile data to the chamber operator rather than a witness saying "he was gone for about 40 minutes and then he went unconcious when he got back on the boat".

That makes a lot of sense, especially since chambers have the cradles. Seems that is a serious selling point that would be more visible on their site.

I guess in my mind 'safety' has to do with the present, not post-incident analysis and treatment. I often get hung up in the semantics.

Scubaroo:
Another neat feature is the PDA software - you can download profiles to a PDA between dives if you're doing some more hardcore dive planning.

Yeah, I was checking that out. Really cool. My impression is that you buy the hardware and download the software? If that’s the case I could have the software on my PDA on the boat, and also loaded on the PC at home, for no extra cost. Right?

Scubaroo:
There is provision to add tank volume, starting and end pressures to calculate SAC in the desktop software. Just like Suunto Dive Manager, you need to know the volume/capacity and working pressure of the tank, in addition to the start/end pressure. It is not AI integrated.

I did find that on their site, after posting my previous.

Scubaroo:
The only downside is that the supplied velcro is not the most secure - someone reported on the California forum a few weeks ago that they had lost one. I sell these, and recommend to people that they attach a small boltsnap with a ziptie or caveline, and carry it in a pocket.

Personally, I think Velcro should not come anywhere near a dive site, especially when it's used to hold lead in place, but that's one of my personal pet peeves. I’d probably opt for a Fastex buckle, but that’s just my personal preference.

Thanks for the inside info!

3dent:
ChrisA, I’m curious about the fact that you emphasized that it’s _not_ a computer.

I said "not a computer" simply to describe it so people would know what I'm talking about. Seems there was no misunderstanding. I was trying to avoid getting 1,000 messages saying that a Suunto or whatever would log dive profiles.

I know darn well that there is in fact a "computer" inside the little box Likey a 4-bit processor.
I have some background in Computer Science and Eletrical Enginerring and can guess how
the guts of the thing work.

Why would I want one of these? Well, let's back up a bit. Why would anyone want scuba equipment at all? About the only good answer is that it's a cool toy and fun to play with.

3dent:
Yeah, I was checking that out. Really cool. My impression is that you buy the hardware and download the software? If that’s the case I could have the software on my PDA on the boat, and also loaded on the PC at home, for no extra cost. Right?
Comes with both PC and PalmOS software on a mini-CD. There's no Pocket PC version yet, but ReefNet are happy for people to develop third party apps for the Sensus Pro, so maybe there will be one day.

ChrisA:
I said "not a computer" simply to describe it so people would know what I'm talking about. Seems there was no misunderstanding. I was trying to avoid getting 1,000 messages saying that a Suunto or whatever would log dive profiles.

Sorry if I seemed on a tangent. I'm a computer engineer myself, and tend to defend them.

ChrisA:
Why would I want one of these? Well, let's back up a bit. Why would anyone want scuba equipment at all? About the only good answer is that it's a cool toy and fun to play with.

Not sure who asked you this one, but that's the same reason I've been wanting one, now that you've introduced 'em to me!

Enjoy!

ChrisA:
I forgot the name of this thing so I can't do a search.

I't a little "black box" about the size of an electronic remote car key. It's only purpose is to log dive profiles and allow then to be downloaded into a PC. It's _not_ a computer just a logger.

As I remember the whole thing, with computer interface, software and all sells for only a little more then the cost of a Suunto data cable.

So what's it called or who makes it.
Cochran also has two differnet data loggers that work with their analyist software.. one is for consumers and the other is meant for commercial dive uses ( 1000m rating)

The consumer unit retails under $100

padiscubapro:
Cochran also has two differnet data loggers that work with their analyist software.. one is for consumers and the other is meant for commercial dive uses ( 1000m rating)

The consumer unit retails under $100

Link?

I went through the debate too - buy a $100 interface cable for my Oceanic, or get the separate Sensus Pro. I decided on the cable/software (got it for $85 LeisurePro). One distinction I find useful with the graphing that comes w/ my DC anyway, is that it posts not only the depth & temp. at 30 sec. intervals, but the table indicates the number of saturation "bars" that built up on the DC graphic display. I pay close attention to these bars while diving on multi dive trips, & find it very interesting to study these dive profiles when I get back f/ a trip, to see when I approach the sixth "caution yellow" bar, & then see it back off when I gas off at shallower depths.

If you have the technical background then you migt want to read the PDF document that describes the computer interface. It's "dirt simple" logically and the physical interface is just 3 wire serial 9600 bps rs-232. Writting your own software for the thing would not be hard to do. The on-line doc contain complete information. Like I said, a fun toy.

3dent:
Sorry if I seemed on a tangent. I'm a computer engineer myself, and tend to defend them.

Not sure who asked you this one, but that's the same reason I've been wanting one, now that you've introduced 'em to me!

Enjoy!

jonnythan:
Its not on their website yet.. I'll talk to a friend that reps for cochran and see if he has any info thats available..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom