What is the best dive site in California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Farnsworth and Ship Rock are certainly going to be on most divers top 10 list but I'd like to add the USC preserve near the isthmus. Amazing diving.

And let's not forget the Dive Park for it's availability, consistency and ever changing life.

Like Phil, the North Coast has eluded me, so I'm biased...

-Farns
-Wrigley P(r)eserve
-Long Point (Mainland) AKA OML ;~)

:cool2:

Little Flower, San Clemente Island; Farnsworth Banks; & the oil rigs....

Originally Jade Cove was unknown except for a few rock hounds and seldom dove except for a hardy few from SoCal and then mostly a very tight knit group of LA Co UW instructors

Diving for jade began in the late-mid 1950s-right after the devellopment of the wet suit- one of the first if not the first to sucessfully dive Jade Cove was the "Helms Underwater athelete of 1955" the legendary Howard Patton, who took the first large rock in 30 feet of water that weighed in at 629 pounds. This was followed by others who pulled up a 500 pound plus rock which they graciouly donated to LA County Natural History museum. Several years later Don Woblers salvaged his well publized 7000 pound hunk that was once displayed at The Shell Shop in Moro Bay, but last time I placed my hand on it was in front of the Pottery Shack in south Laguna Beach.

As a dive location and a dive destination Jade cove is located about 30 miles north of San Simeon and fifty miles south of Monterey on sencic highway one and almost direcly across from Plasket creek campground.

It is a very unique California dive location sice it offers an abundance of marine life and the opportunity to dive for a semi precious stone called Jade..The only place in California and the world where Jade can be found while diving,

And I recall CDN published an article in May 2003 by Mr. Peter Hemming titled "Jade Cove"

Therefore- Jade Cove!

sdm

Sam, you're a machine!

Respect,
Don

Sam, you're a machine!

Respect,
Don
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don,
It is I who respect you!

A little history of the very short history of California recreational diving often enhances the knowledge of those that will follow. It is certainly information that you will never experience in local or national print

Therefore, I consider my self a historian who has experienced 60 plus years of recreational diving rather than a Machine, but thanks for the complement,

SAM

From a bathymetry point of view I really like the deep ridge on the north east corner of San Clemente North Bank.
Lots of narrow canyons to explore!

Alberto (aka eDiver)

For shore diving I'd nominate La Jolla Shores down to the canyon. The parking at Valecitos can be difficult but then there is Marine Room entry for the same area. Usually the surf is not too bad because the shallows go out far making a large surf zone to dissipate the energy. Makes a good day or night dive. It's a short walk to the water.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom