What is the best travel BC for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like how we divers are helping each other.

I checked out the zeagle express and there are two version: normal and deluxe. Which one would be better for me? Either way I know I am getting the crotch strap, no padding (takes too long to dry). I also wonder whether to pick the ripcord or the ziptouch? And how big a bladder: 24, 30, 35. Remember I am 5.11 172, and would like to use this BC for both travel and local diving (Monterey) (eventually even dry suit).

Crotch strap will get sent out Wednesday. Picking up material tonite and will get started on it. Will not have time to get to post office tomorrow. Checking out a new overhead training site right after work and time will be too tight.

As for which version. Speaking as a user only I would not go for the deluxe. The Express Tech is such that you do not need quick releases, padding etc. I have the 24lb bladder on mine and kinda wish I'd gotten the 30. I find it a tad small for my 3 mil and a steel 95 as far as lift goes in fresh water with any extra weight. I'd not consider using it with my drysuit since with a steel 95, in it I have 14lbs on my backplate and 8lbs on a belt for single tank diving The amount of lift I need to float the rig if I were to set up the Express tech the same way would be too close to the 24lbs. The 30 would be better and the 35 more so without any significant tacoing effect.

I am not familiar with the zip touch but would never go with the rip cord. I like being able to dump partial amounts of weight if any and anything that gets rid of all of it at once I'm not ok with. My own setup is to have two 5lb capacity pounces on the cam bands, one on each band, and then I wear a weight belt with individual pockets. The actual bc I dive is here:
Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

All my additions are detailed in the article I wrote for this on line magazine.

For drysuit diving I only use my BPW.

I agree on the DeLuxe. I bought it and needn't have bothered. The padding is unnecessary and just adds to the travel weight.

The 24lb bladder is more than enough for me, but I do nothing but recreational tropical diving with board shorts and a rash guard and two pounds of weight.

according to Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe Kit scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express The Express Tech Deluxe comes with a deluxe webbing harness which includes an articulated shoulder assembly that swivels to adjust the harness to the contours of your torso and a sternum strap plus two d-rings. The padding is optional and I do not want to get it. I was thinking a sternum strap and individual adjustable shoulder straps would make it more easy to get it to sit right instead of the standard one long strap.

I have the ET and orderd the Deluxe harness after I had used it for a while. I liked having a way to adjust the waist and shoulder section independently, buckles on the shoulder straps and a more secure place to connect the chest straps (yes I like a chest strp because it pulls the shoulder straps in and makes a snugger more comfortable fit for me.) I use XS Scuba weight pouches for my weights. Four 5# ditchable pouches on the waist band and 2 Quick attach 5# pouches zip tied to a triglide on the chest straps for trim weight (I turtle if I put trim weights on the cam bands with steel tanks.)
I would get a 30# or 35# wing if you are going to do any thing but warm water diving. If I had known that I would like the ET so much and could have gotten a larger wing I would have gotten a 30 or 35# wing instead of the 24#. I use the 44# wing from my Ranger for cold water diving but it is to big and can be hard to vent. The ET does tend to ride up without a crotch strap but so does my Ranger and many othere BC's.
according to Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe Kit scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express The Express Tech Deluxe comes with a deluxe webbing harness which includes an articulated shoulder assembly that swivels to adjust the harness to the contours of your torso and a sternum strap plus two d-rings. The padding is optional and I do not want to get it. I was thinking a sternum strap and individual adjustable shoulder straps would make it more easy to get it to sit right instead of the standard one long strap.

Thanks claymore. I think I'm ready to try the express deluxe with crotch strap. Although someone else off this thread is suggesting a halcyon tech BC. But the Plate alone ways 6 pounds. Although he says it dives much better.

Crotch strap will get sent out Wednesday. Picking up material tonite and will get started on it.

Wow, that was fast Jim. I received the crotch strap you made and the slides yesterday! That's only eight days from the day I ordered until I received it here in Thailand.

The strap seems just right. Thanks for including the detailed installation drawing. (Perfect for someone as topologically challenged as I am.) It fits perfectly. The slides make it possible to tighten the waist strap without affecting the length of the should straps. The crotch strap holds the BC right where it should be.

Great work, great service.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom