What is the differences in NAUI vs PADI class guidelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAUI standards and Policies:
Divemaster course (DM)
Qualifications of Graduates
  • An active-status NAUI Divemaster is qualified to organize and conduct dives for certified divers if the diving activities and locale approximate those in which the Divemaster is trained. Additional training, knowledge of experience is necessary for the Divemaster who desires to organize highly specialized activities, such as wreck penetration, cavern, ice of other technical dives or enter a new locale.
  • An active-status NAUI Divemaster is qualified to organize and conduct NAUI Recognition (Such as International Diver) and award approapriate recognition materials to participants.
  • An active-status NAUI Divemaster is qualified to assist an active-status NAUI Instructor in diving courses.
  • If all other prerequisites are met, a current NAUI Divemaster is qualified to enter a NAUI Instructor Training Course (ITC). (Attending a NAUI Instructor Preparatory Program (PREP) and NAUI Assistant Instructor certification are recommended prior to attending an ITC.)

NAUI Recognition programs include those as "dive with sharks", "dive with mantas" and should not be confused with specialities (only NAUI instructors can teach specialities).

As for the academic requirements, these are the titles, check with your NAUI LDS if they can let you check the standards (this is too long to type :wink: ): NAUI orientation, Divemaster duties, Divemaster legal responsibilities, Shore diving, Emergency procedures, boat diving, Night and limited visibility diving, Open water rescue, Deep and decompression diving, Underwater environment, and equipment.

Hope that helps.

Something you may also consider interesting:

NAUI memebers (well, those of us who vote!) democratically elect the Board of Directors. NAUI standards, policies and member ethics are governed by the BoD, but can be changed either by petitioning the BoD or by electing new members to the Board, members who can implement changes as desired by the membership.

From the PADI website:

What can PADI Divemasters do?

* Work at local dive centers, on live-aboard dive boats, yachts and at exotic resort locations
* Assist PADI Instructors with students
* Lead PADI Scuba Divers on guided dive tours
* Teach and certify PADI Skin Divers
* Teach PADI Discover Snorkeling programs
* Conduct PADI Scuba Review programs for certified divers
* Lead certified divers on Discover Local Diving experiences
* Teach Emergency First Response programs after successful completion of an Emergency First Response Instructor course.

renaissancemanjoshua:
(
I have also heard that NAUI is extremely strict on how their course is to be run, the order things are taught, and that no changing the course is allowed. The end goal here is that the course is as important as passing the test. I have also heard that NAUI has a more legally defensible curriculum should something go wrong.

NAUI allows you to add as much information as you would like to your class. My AOW class does not use the AOW book, they use the Master Diver book instead and I require a skill or two from the Divemaster curriculum. The OW class we teach includes a lot of physics and medical information that goes above and beyond what is in the text. We have one PADI instructor who helps at the university and PADI told him he was not allowed to do a couple of the exercises we do in the pool with our NAUI students. A basic rescue of a submerged unconscious diver is required by NAUI for OW certification but the PADI instructor was told he could not incorporate one into his class because that was part of the PADI rescue class.

I have certified a couple of students from his class and the only things they needed to be taught to go from the PADI class to the NAUI exam/check-out dives were a rescue and some physics that NAUI covers but PADI doesn't. They were still good divers and I enjoyed certifying and diving with divers he had trained.

Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom