What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer a truck, just my style. although SUV's and mini vans work well also. my buddy has a chevy astro van and absolutely loves it. when we go caving he will setup an airmattress inside and use it as a tent along with his gear. but any type of vehicle that has a tailgate

greg454:
"Sorry, but we're not all environmentalists. Environmentalist are always fighting spear fishing, always trying to ban diving in certain parts, they almost prevented the sinking of the Oriskany. So I have no sympathy for them.

Let's see, dictionary definitions of environmentalists include "A person who places high values on the environment", "someone who works to protect the environment from destruction or pollution", and "advocate for the preservation, restoration, or enhancement of the natural environment.". If you don't believe in any of these concepts, you sure picked the wrong sport/hobby in scuba diving!!!

na, we just dont preach it to everyone by telling them "if you dont drive a prius, then you are killing the world"

...and if you do drive a Prius, you're usually clogging up the lane for those of us who have someplace to get to quickly - move over! :D

And the best scuba car? The one that's still where you parked it when you return from your dive!

i saw a prius go a hundred once.

Jeep Wrangler. Plenty of room if you know how to pack. I've evacuated my entire family from the Gulf South during hurricane season more than once without any complaints. If you want to make an impression then yeah the chicks dig it. If you want more room then go with a Cherokee.

My only complaint is the gas mileage but what can you expect it has the aerodynamics of a parachute. Still I find the gas mileage to be bearable. I get around 17-18 mpg.

agilis:
I assumed that serious scuba divers were, almost by definition, deeply committed to reducing environmental degradation, and, hopefully, mature enough to understand that it is their individual responsibility to reduce the extent to which they personally add to the problems of global warming, pollution, destruction of the reefs, etc.

I can't imagine owning a vehicle which burns up great quantities gasoline. There are many reasonable alternatives. Not using these alternatives, even when they are somewhat inconvenient, runs counter to both self-interest and moral responsibility.
I know that very young and/or very stupid divers often have a narcissistic self-centered perspective, with no thought beyond their immediate desires and appetites, but I'm still astounded by the seeming inability of some people to see the connections between what they do and the destruction of what they claim to love.

Hey, I got some news for ya. If your driving an automobile that runs on gas you are just as much part of the problem as anyone else. The same exhaust gas is coming out of your tailpipe as the next guys.

I've never been able to figure out why a person crammed into a little bity *** car is better than someone sitting in an H2. The bottom line is: if your driving your causing pollution too, period.

So, cut the crap sell your car and start riding a bicycle. Then maybe I'll take your little rant seriously.

jeraldjcook:
...over the ENTIRE life of the vehicle the H2 is more efficient.../[/url]

Come on...that's not fair to let facts interfere with the Greenies fun.

i saw a prius go a hundred once.
I think j-c was referring to miles per hour, not miles per gallon.

Only kidding. :D

If anything, the responses here just show what a diverse group Scubaboard (and divers) are, with a degree of varying tastes, "values," and no doubt, budgets. I think those who show surprise at perceived "anti-environmentalism" here may be spending too much time counting the Hummers and Expeditions and ignoring the significant number of Honda Elements and other small vehicles. Can we lighten up, and not be so quick to generalize? After all, this is a fun hobby! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom