What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well...i think my budget will be less than 10,000. I've got a 98 mercury sable (wagon) which was supposed to be a good scuba car, but then it started to brake down. the driver window motor broke while the window was down. the radio sucks...and i just want a cooler car.

Jorbar1551:
Well...i think my budget will be less than 10,000. I've got a 98 mercury sable (wagon) which was supposed to be a good scuba car, but then it started to brake down. the driver window motor broke while the window was down. the radio sucks...and i just want a cooler car.
Well, if you only have $10,000.00 the attack sub is out. Maybe you could get a used jeep. That's the next best scuba car after attack subs. Also you might take a look at this:
11large.jpg

agilis:
I assumed that serious scuba divers were, almost by definition, deeply committed to reducing environmental degradation, and, hopefully, mature enough to understand that it is their individual responsibility to reduce the extent to which they personally add to the problems of global warming, pollution, destruction of the reefs, etc.

I can't imagine owning a vehicle which burns up great quantities gasoline. There are many reasonable alternatives. Not using these alternatives, even when they are somewhat inconvenient, runs counter to both self-interest and moral responsibility.
I know that very young and/or very stupid divers often have a narcissistic self-centered perspective, with no thought beyond their immediate desires and appetites, but I'm still astounded by the seeming inability of some people to see the connections between what they do and the destruction of what they claim to love.

I wonder how this person gets his gear to the water. Let me guess walk.... hitchhike..... I know ride a horse...... Or maby he just lives on a nice big boat where they just light up the big marine diesels and cruise to the dive site.

I load mine in the back of my Jeep. When I run out of road into 4WD it goes and we go where we want to.

For a budget less than 10 G's I would suggest a small used pickup truck. I have a chevy s10 and it is perfect for two people's dive gear. Get and extended cab, and I suggest a third door. You can store all the stuff you dont want out in the elements in the cab, and the third door makes it alot easier to get to. Tanks and gear bags into the bed, and you can put a top on or just dont let it out of your sight. Get decent mileage, maybe 22 on the highway. If you are hauling more than two people though, you need something bigger.

I didn't see anyone say it.

The best scuba car is...one that's paid for!

Jorbar1551:
i saw a prius go a hundred once.

Did it ever go over 20 again? or was it on a trailer?

Man, the first person to find a way to mix this topic with MOF/NMOF may just create the most heated and longest running thread ever.
You CAN dive out of anything, I will sometimes squuuuueze two aluminum 80's and my gear into my wife's Miata (sure laugh all you want, but 30 miles to the gallon and on a twisty road you won't catch it in a Vette, Porsche or anything but a Lotus Elise). I also have a F150 crew-cab (Yay me, bridging the redneck-treehugger gap) as well as my usual dive car-a POS Toyota Camry. My last option was my wife's other car an Acura but that is now off limits, it seems a small shell I had found and tucked into my BC pocket fell out in the trunk and sat for several days, it was 110 degrees in California last summer and hey, guess what, there are small animals that sometimes make their homes in shells. It took several bottles of Febreeze and some roses to get back in the wife's good graces.
And yes, I am truly in between the Hummer-Prius camp, I killed a small creature but I didn't deep-fat-fry it.

WarrenZ:
Did it ever go over 20 again? or was it on a trailer?

probably not since it was being chased by a chp camaro as well as 3 standard ones.

Scubakevdm:
Well, if you only have $10,000.00 the attack sub is out.

you could probably finance it with loans from a different company...say iran. brazil was selling a WW2 aircraft carrier for 8 million. that would've been a kick *** way to get around. you could sell that for scrap metal and make money.

We just got our new dive vehicle... F350 dually crew cab diesel. Tons of room, haul anything and wait till it's chipped, 450HP. My on-water ride gets 2gallon/mile...

Back
Top Bottom