What is the problem with doing a Scuba Review/Refresher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what would you accept as proof of diving skill or recent experience? dive log? (can be faked) computer? (might be borrowed)

Here in the keys most shops ask when you last dived. If more than a year (I believe most shops) will require you to take a refresher course and that is somewhere around $250.00.

I'm sorry but I can't see how that that can work.

So you're saying that people are given the choice between lying about their experience or paying $250.00? I can't imagine how that results in anything but amazing danger.

5 years ago when I got back into SCUBA diving after not diving for 10 years. I was setting up a couple of days of diving in Hawaii around the island of Oahu. The dive shop asked about experience, at the time I had around 300 dives, and then asked about how long it had been since I had dove. When I told them about 10 years, they said I'd need a quick refresher. I told them, that was not a problem and then proceeded to set everything up. The refresher was an informal class room at pool side where we went over the basic OW topics, such as equalization, ascending rates, safety stops, tables/computers use, and then we hit the pool and did basic mask and regulator skills. I don't remember what the cost was or if there was one.

no problem if asked to do a review..never asked though :(..in Cozumel thought I ould be asked as a customer ahead of me in line at a dive shop was asked to do so and he out right refused saying "oh I am an instructor blah blah.." so when my turn at the counter came up I looked at the person behind the counter in the eye and said I wanted him to do my refresher. He started to laugh and said "no need to I know you can dive (i was never there before) that guy is a a**hole we know he is a mess.
I was kind of disappointed as I was going to have some fun with him. Planed on putting mask on upside down , saying I was taught that way. Putting on fins and swim in circles and if asked why in circles claim that I must have put my fins on wrong. Must of put the right foot fin on my left.. Stuff like putting the bcd on the tank upside down and claim that is how they do it in Australia..Lighten up people and have some fun..

what would you accept as proof of diving skill or recent experience? dive log? (can be faked) computer? (might be borrowed)

Good question. My experience is you can see when they kit up. If a diver has a lot to say watch them kit up and you should get a fairly good inkling of how they dive.

Experience has also taught me that i know how to dive in my back yard but that does not mean i know how to dive in your dive conditions. i am always happy for an intro to local dive conditions.

I have seen ops where the choice was do a refresher or hire a DM to accompany you on dive 1. Hiring a DM is usually much cheaper than paying for a refresher course and you do not miss a day of diving.

Good to keep in mind that the diver may have only planned one or two days of diving on a family trip so not doing a particular dive can be a major hit to the diving.

Every year I spend a few days in the Keys with all buddies instabuddies. A large number of these are only doing one or two days or half days of diving during the trip. Often they are only doing AM dives.

Divers tend to be an independent lot and don't care much for scuba police. As a rule they are also pretty safety conscious and will go along with an "easy" checkout dive on the first dive stop if you make it interesting. If they get a whiff that you are using it as a "money maker"...fo' get about it...:D If you are going to have a refresher course rule, I would make the cutoff at 1 year rather than 6 months. That should catch the "once in forever" crusiers without unduly burdening the more experienced divers that are caught in a one vacation per year scenario, IMO.

What about divers that no longer log dives that have nothing to show?
Or what about solo divers that maybe keep a log but don't have a buddy to sign it?
I've been diving about 15 years with somewhere between 700 and 1000 dives, I don't know for sure, I haven't logged a dive in over 13 years.
If you were willing to take my word for it that I know what I'm doing I'd use your facility. If you saw my predicament as an opportunity to make a few bucks I'd walk.
This is one reason why I love Love California dive boats so much, they let us do whatever we want and never ask to see a stupid log book, ever.

Interesting topic because this year I fell into this category completely. Been diving for 3 years, logged 26 dives with the last one 11 months ago. So on the first day of our summer holiday this year, I pre-booked myself and my daughter up for an official refresher dive at $75 each. For that we had two lovely lady instructors for the two of us and a pleasant afternoon going through stuff we haven't done since we did our OW class 3 years ago including mask off, sharing air and CESA. Also picked up a couple of handy new tips from them and it was also a chance to brush up on buoyancy control.

Going back to the OP's question - 6 months is too severe, even for newbies. 12 months is reasonable and I believe it is the PADI recommendation.

I'm curious to know what the objections are against doing a Scuba Review and hope you can enlighten me. I really feel that we're not being unreasonable in our request (especially considering local liability policies which are quite different than, let's say, the US) and we're not asking an outrageous amount of money for a scuba review either. Any of you has been presented with this issue from a customer's perspective? What did you think? Do you refuse to do a refresher? Why?

*Of course we take experience level into account, there's a very gray area here that we have to take into account.

When do you tell customers about this requirement and its cost? I'm guessing it is when the customer checks in rather than when the initial contract is make. I would have a big problem with such surprise add-ons. What is the name of your operation or web site?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom