What is this thing in my H-valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know several people just don't use them these days, but since I've never had an issue, I haven't looked into it much.

I use a lathe collet of appropriate size to grip the dip tube, but I know most don't have a cabinet full of 5C collets / and or the means to close the collet.

The next best way is a chuck in a drill motor. Spin the dip tube in by hand and then grab it with the drill chuck and snug it up.

I usually either put a turn of teflon tape on the threads or slightly deform the threads with a pair of pliers prior to installation. I've never had one fall out.

Tobin

Your problem, Tobin, is you don't do anything half assed. You'd make the rest of us a lot better if you'd start slacking off and cutting corners!

Grrr...I have one rolling around in one of my LP80s right now. :shakehead: I've already "fixed" this once, and it started rolling around again within 1-2 fills. Pretty annoying to say the least.
If you think losing the dip tube off your H-valve is annoying ... just wait'll the first time you lose one off your P-valve ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've only had one dip tube come free, and that was after an insanely hot fill at a resort. (They filled the cylinder in under 30 seconds -- round down and say about 5000 psi per minute. :eek:) On the plus side, I can be reasonably sure there were no surviving organic contaminants. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom