What is wrong with my Worthington tank??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steveann:
Do the marks match up with your tank straps at all? It might be that you made a nick in the protective coating and it started that. It's a galvanized tank, though, isn't it?

Yikes, ok I am not obsessed anymore but I did walk past the tanks again, and now I noticed that there indeed are strap marks. Not on this wounded one but on the other one... Now, is this normal? No nicks or damage but like a whiter shade ring around the tank now that it is dry. This tank was as well rinsed in fresh water after the dive. All my other tanks have been painted, and I never experienced anything like this either... I am getting weirded out here...

I'll certainly post update.

When the tanks were stored in the trunk during transport, is it possible one was positioned over the exhaust/muffler system? If so, this may have caused localized heating on the tank, damaging the finish.

rjack321:
Ever carried a battery in that trunk?

No. I tried to go through what 'household' item could be vicious enough to penetrate galvanization, or first layer of it... Then again, I spread two overlapping commercial grade trash bags on the bottom of the trunk before any gear went in to protect the car. Both of these plastics were intact upon return, so even if I had something on the trunk per se... it's hard to see how it got through without destroying the plastic - and just to this particular item - if it was that strong by nature.

Tanks were not in same order upon trip in and out either, and since it was overnight trip, tank order got shuffled in-between too. This tank was used second day of diving. I'd think if it laid in battery acid or the likes, the tank on that spot overnight/trip home would have suffered some damage too...

Yikes. My new Worthington tanks are being in order, too. I have four PST tanks, but I haven't seen anything like yours. I am sure Mike will take care of your tanks..

Hmm~~~So weird............

Interim report

Took tanks to the shop. As expected, the verdict was that I have done 'something' to the tanks, ie I have stained them with something. Tank was wiped with Simple Green and rinsed with water in the shop. According to shop, looks improved (I disagree). He 'could call manufacturer' ... if he had to... *sigh*

Main reasoning for the verdict was that there is no rough edges to the stain, and that 'galvanized tanks are prone to staining'. I wish I knew they were this prone to this bad staining before buying if thats the case. I really hope this is not going to lead to rust either.

I'll wait for Mike's opinion on photos I sent to him too.

I know both Sea Pearls and XS Scuba will take care of your problem. Call Mike @1-866-977-2822 or Lee @1-800-328-3852

Call me at Sea Pearls, 1-800-3852, I will have the tank picked up, inspected, and a full report to you at no cost. Everyone involved with Worthington Cylinder wants you to be satisfied with your purchase.

Lee Selisky
www.seapearls.com

Back
Top Bottom