What is your motivation to solo dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving is no big deal, find a nice quiet body of water on a good day, put on your gear and go for a dive. You’ve made your first solo dive. Take it from there.

It’s funny you mention practicing DSMB deployment. I have thought about this many times and can’t figure out how to do it safely while towing a friggn’ dive flag.
If you are solo and have a flag, you are never lost and do not have to deploy your DSMB. If you have the flag and are with a group, you are never lost and do not have to deploy you DSMD. I guess it may only interfere with practicing.

Go with a group in Palm Beach, Narcosis or Walker's Charters or in Jupiter, Jupiter Dive Center and ascend on your own DSMB rather than with the guide. Good practice.

I've done a lot of solo diving though technically not "certified" for it. There is a place and time for it and whether or not it can be done safely. In my case, it is usually when doing a video/photography project in shallow/calm waters or scientific transects which can be boring or where a second person would interfere with the research. In every case I make sure there are always redundancies and contingencies, and that I can always safely reach the surface in the case of an emergency. I feel that in many cases when buddying with less experienced divers I am actually putting myself in a more dangerous situation than I would be solo.

Dive with people who you know, trust, and who have the same risk profile as you do. Otherwise, go solo.

Want to dive on my time table.

If other solo divers choose to dive with me, that would be fine.

Tired of the gate keeper nonsense. Can't wait to get the cards to put this behind me.
sorry if i don't understand have you done your certification or not yet ? I did about 20 ish solo dive by myself (not certified). I am thinking do to the self reliant course next spring but i am wondering if i will gain much doing so. What's your thoughts on that ?

sorry if i don't understand have you done your certification or not yet ? I did about 20 ish solo dive by myself (not certified). I am thinking do to the self reliant course next spring but i am wondering if i will gain much doing so. What's your thoughts on that ?
The course will give you an opportunity to potentially learn new things from an instructor. The C-card will give you the ability to dive solo with some operators if you travel or go on certain boats.

Hi @34109411

I did solo dives for about 10 years before I got my Solo Diver certification in 2013. These dives were all with operators who knew me well. I got certified so that I could solo dive with operators who do not know me. This has worked out very well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom