What is your Recommended online US Scuba Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm partial to Scuba.com. I coincidentally have the good fortune to live 20 minutes from the headquarters. They have a show room you can walk into and then "order" gear/equipment from computers at a table. Instead of shipping to your house they bring to you in store. They also have a great return policy. I had to order a wetsuit online from the email to get a special email only deal (wasn't available in store at the sale price) but the wetsuit didn't fit and had to take my daughter back for a return. They gave us full credit and spent the next 30 minutes bringing out different suits for her to try. They've also taken back a pair of fins after several months. I ordered them for her but we didn't dive them and then she wanted a different color. They took them back no problems.

I've also used Scubatoys in the past but haven't needed to return anything to them.

Scuba.com also has a complete service department, and is an authorized repair/warranty station for most major brands, including Atomic. Tanks are filled on site, and only ten minutes from my office.

Dive Gear Express for me as well. I've bought most of my stuff from them (regs and bcd) but I did buy my computer and various wetsuits and other items from the LDS.

Scuba.com has a great selection BUT they are incredibly RUDE and difficult to work with on the phone. They also do not respond to emails in a timely fashion. I am going to try some of the other shops recommended here for my next order.

Divegearexpress: if they have what I am looking for I buy from them. Prompt shipping and friendly to deal with.
Diverightinscuba: good selection, prompt shipping. Didn't have any service related interaction with them yet.
Leisurepro: painless transactions. Good return policy.
Scuba.com: good selection on website but as it was pointed already things might not be in stock and they don't tell you that. Free shipping takes forever and I live just 3 hours away. Gave me bad sizing advice on wetsuit twice as what I wanted was not in stock.

My choice is actually Dive Seekers at Diveseekers.com - they are also an LDS for many here in NJ. The advantage there is that they can supply ALL of your diving needs: borrow or try-out gear, easily return or refund, help with fit & option choices. That, to me, is a better deal. They have excellent prices and often specials just like the others. We really need to support our LDS's when possible especially when the prices are the same.

I recently placed an order online with them as they are my LDS too. I was getting ready for a trip and needed a few small things and didnt have the time to run over and pick it up. They shipped almost instantly and I had the package within 1-2 days and everything was perfect.

Here is the thing though, prices really arent the same when comparing to some of these online shops simply because of state tax. I am getting ready to purchase gear for the first time within the next few weeks. I've totalled everything up and I am looking at about $3000 total. I can save $210 by not shopping locally and I am seriously considering it. Its not something they can control, but $200 is $200. While I agree you need to support your LDS when you can, its hard to pay a 7% surcharge on things when you dont have to.

+1 for Dive Gear Express, very easy to deal with and fast 'free' shipping, normally at my door in a couple business days. They do not carry everything but they seem to have most items I need and their price point is very good. As an example HP spools, $0.75, other vendors $4-10 each.

Back
Top Bottom