What is your SAC rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 200 lbs and 43 years old.

My normal working SAC is very consistently .65 cfm / 18.4 lpm in doubles and a dry suit in cold water.

I use a normal scuba breathing pattern (slow reasonably deep inhale followed by 2-3 second pause and then a slow exhale). I make no effort to try to stretch things to improve my SAC rate.

Some things that help improve air consumption are:

1. Use a deep inhale and exhale as it reduces the percentage of dead air space (mouth and throat) in a given breath.

2. Avoid any wasted movement. This includes not only arm movement but also any torso/trunk movement or tension as those are very large muscles that burn lots of O2.

3. Relax

4. Be properly weighted and develop excellent buoyancy skills. Being over weighted increases the workload needed to maintain precision buoyancy. Finning up or down to maintain depth is very inefficient.

5. Develop good horizontal trim as it will greatly reduce the drag encountered in swimming. Being as little as 20 degrees off horizontal can easily double frontal area and drag.

6. Streamline your equipment as much as posisble. More drag requires more power which uses more O2 and creates more CO2, increasing your respiration rate.

7. Don't swim too fast in an attempt to get more miles per tank. Swimming twice as fast results in 4 times the drag and requires 4 times the power. Consequently going just a little faster requires a lot more O2 than you would expect and does not conserve your gas supply.

8. Pausing with full lungs for a few seconds (being careful not to close your airway) is fine, but longer pauses (skip breathing) only serve to increase CO2 retention which in turn causes elevated CO2 levels and exacerbates both narcosis and oxygen toxcity, so don't be tempted to artificially lower respiration to improve SAC. Nitrox won't make a difference as you produce the same amount of CO2 from the O2 you metabolize regardless of the O2 percentage of the mix and you have to exhale to eliminate the CO2.

DAA has a bunch of good information there. I'll just add that gas consumption is not by any means a constant.

My average consumption in cold water, on a general critter-watching recreational dive, is about 11 lpm. Running a reel at home for practice one night, my SAC was 19 lpm. Doing a slow, relaxed dive in Maui a couple of weeks ago, it was 7.6 lpm.

Gas consumption is related to physical work, mental tension, water temperature, and probably other factors.

Comparing your consumption to someone else's is only useful when that other person is going to be your buddy, and only meaningful if you have some comparison of body size, age, fitness, and exertion level (mental and physical) for that dive.

Where I normally dive, something on the order of 1.3 tablespoons per second per PSI.

That's about 18L/min/BAR for all you SI freaks.

In calm warm water, I've averaged 11L/min/BAR over about week of vacation diving (Hawaii).

But don't worry about what the number is other than to appropriately determine whether you have enough gas to complete a planned dive.

My SAC per dive averages about 0.6cf/17L. It started around .85cf/24L and dropped rather dramatically somewhere around 40-50 dives (I'm just shy of 100 dives now). It's not like I was consciously trying to work on my SAC or anything, it just dropped all on its own and levelled off about here, although nowadays I am noticing it creeping down a bit (my last five dives were about 0.56cf/16L).

I'm 5'10"/1.8m and stocky, but in decent health.

As another poster said, the important thing is to know how much gas you need for a dive. A good air-integrated computer will also dynamically calculate remaining safe dive time (for a given depth) based on your breathing rate at that time.

>*< Fritz

P.S. I like to joke that Scuba is one of the only activities wherein a guy can truly and verbally express admiration for another guy's nice, low SAC... :crafty:

A good air-integrated computer will also dynamically calculate remaining safe dive time (for a given depth) based on your breathing rate at that time.

But they can't (AFAIK) tell you that you have enough before the dive has even started.

I don't think your SAC is something you could or should worry about.

It will decrease through experience, comfort underwater and as your technique improves. Best focus on those.

In the meantime a bigger tank will give you more time.

I just figured mine for a dive I did on the castor @ .473 . I was around .300 to .350 but since have not been running or working out. On a 60' reef while chasing bugs I did .606 the next day. Do not put too much value on my numbers though I do not have a air intregated and my avg depth is an estimate.

I use the spear site to plug in the numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom