What is your SAC rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know fat ass 250lb heffers that can do almost the same length dive on a single LP 121 pumped to 3600psi as I would take my twin HP 119's for.......it really irks me.
Maybe it is just karma. Try refraining from referring to other people as "fat ass 250lb heffers" for a year and maybe you'll find your SAC rate has decreased.

Maybe it is just karma. Try refraining from referring to other people as "fat ass 250lb heffers" for a year and maybe you'll find your SAC rate has decreased.

Maybe tgsmith meant it literally.

56459d1236632261-what-your-sac-rate-1055013_9091_625x1000.jpg

Attachments

• 1055013_9091_625x1000.jpg
    1055013_9091_625x1000.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 128
Keeping tract of your sac rate is fine, but don't be too worried about it. You will see it improve as you dive more and become more comfortable in the water. As stated earlier, there are many factors that will cause your sac rate to change. The main reason for knowing your sac rate is for dive planning and determining the amount of gas you should have on hand. If you are diving normal ndl's, then it won't matter that much anyway.

BTW, mine is between .67 and .9, depending on the exertion in the dive.

What is your SAC rate?

consistently around 12 in cold water with my normal kit, which is twin 12's and a drysuit.

In the tropics, my air consumption is much better than that but seldom drops below 8 unless I'm consciously trying to relax.

Highest I've ever measured was about 20 or something.

R..

0.5 in the tropics and 0.7 in Northern Calif.

Still working on getting better.

On my most recent dive there was another diver on the boat whom I couldn't believe could find a wetsuit big enough to fit him. This guy was like late 50's to early 60's I'd guess and he was seriously obese. I was more than a little surprised when I saw him diving with a 10l cylinder.

My dive lasted 40 minutes before my empty 15l cylinder and I were waiting on the boat for him to finish the rest of his 55 minute dive. I was seriously impressed. By my rough calculations, his RMV must have been somewhere around 10l/min. I can't imagine that there are many other guys of his physique that has such a good SAC.

. I can't imagine that there are many other guys of his physique that has such a good SAC.

If you're relaxed under water diving is an extremely easy and low-energy activity so SACs will be low. Where the difference may become apparent is if he has to start doing something physical like swimming against a current etc. Then lack of physical fitness may push it through the roof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom