What is your seasonal thermal insulation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just curious:

1) where are you located in FL, what bodies of water do you dive?
---- Answer :

2) how does water temperature change throughout the year
---- Answer :

3) and what is your range of thermal insulation that you have, say for summer vs winter
---- Answer :

4) are there any months that you skip diving due to low temperatures?
---- Answer :

5) does winter bring any changes to how and where you dive?
---- Answer :

Here, I have it nicely formatted, just reply and insert the answers.

Just curious:

---- Answer :

---- Answer :

3) and what is your range of thermal insulation that you have, say for summer vs winter
---- Answer :

---- Answer :

---- Answer :

Here, I have it nicely formatted, just reply and insert the answers.

I dive in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter year round. The water temp varies between the mid-80s in summer to the low 70s, sometimes even high 60s in the winter. I dive a full 3mm down to the high 70s, dive a 5mm low 70s to high 70s, and dive a 7mm low 70s and lower. I add a 5/3 hooded vest to whatever I'm diving if I get cold, adds a couple of degrees. I dive year round, simply dress appropriately. My wonderful TruWest boat coat gets a good workout late fall through spring and whenever it's particularly windy.

Just curious:

---- Answer : Nope, in SC, but mainly dive in Fl. Venice area & Pompano

---- Answer : coldest I've been in was 55, warmest low 80's

---- Answer : swimsuit, 3 mil full, 5/3 shorty

---- Answer : haven't dove in winter...yet

---- Answer : Lakes in SC get cold...

I dive in Jupiter mainly and for the last few winters I have gotten by with a good quality 5mm, but usually add a Sharkskin & hooded vest for head. Have a 7mm that I have not had too mess with for a long time. As of yesterday, we are still getting upper 70’s and I will wear a 3mm in that, but chill is here and water is going to drop quickly. This morning at house 39 deg, so boat ride can be brutal.

When I lived in Florida, I dove year round in Jupiter with periodic dives in Pompano, WPB, Boyton and the Keys.

As Scubadad indicated, mid to high 80's in the summer and low 70's and occasionally colder in the winter and early spring. Note that Jupiter and WPB get occasional upwellings in the summer and those upwellings can be bitterly cold: like in the 50's.

Everyone's cold tolerance is different. In Jupiter during the winter, I used to see divers in board shorts through dry suits when I lived in Florida. For me, 3MM in summer and 7MM starting in Jan. I also have a 2MM vest, a 2MM beanie and a 5MM hood that I'll use when needed. I recently purchased a 8/9MM with a built in hood that I'll use on winter trips to the Keys (now that I'm no longer a resident of FL) where I plan to do 4 or 5 dives a day for several days and temps are in the low 70's or high 60's. That can be 4 to 5 hours underwater each day and I get pretty chilled by the end of the day if the temps are in the 70 range and I'm not wearing thick protection. I know some will say that an 8/9 is overkill in south Florida, but for me it works well for repetitive dive situations.

The only time I skipped diving was when marine conditions were not good or when I had family/friend obligations. I dove year round. With that said, there are a lot of weeks with bad marine conditions in the winter that precluded diving: especially in Jupiter where the wind coming out of the north (headed south) 'fights' against the gulf stream headed north and will result in spectacularly large waves on the horizon.

In my experience, the winter seldom had flat conditions but will have plenty of weekends of 2-4 ft waves. Just be prepared and have a sea sickness plan (e.g. only look at horizon, take ginger, bonine, etc.). You'll also want a fleece coat or something similar for your surface interval.

3 to 5 mil and a hood year round.From the Carolinas to St Augustine.
Temps vary from low 60s to 80s.
I go far enough offshore to find warmer waters.

Usually diving 120' to 180' during colder months.Some years the offshore water is warmer than the summer thermocline.
I rarely dive shallower than 100' anytime.Only in the Keys and the rare inshore trip.

Recently relocated to Hollywood from Miami. Regularly dive year round from Middle Keys up to Jupiter, and make occasional forays up to Homosassa & Crystal River for winter Manatee visits.

Pretty much the same as others have noted previously.

Water temperature 78 degrees and warmer: Full 3mm suit and lycra hooded vest.
Water temperature 70-78 degrees: Full 5mm semi-dry and the same vest or 5mm hood.
Water temperature below 70 degrees: Dry suit and appropriate thermal under layers.
I also wear a dry suit while splashing about with Manatees. Despite the 72 degree water, I like to spend a long time immersed and want to stay comfortable.
I prefer not to wear gloves unless the water is very cold, if current is ripping and I’m diving a rusting wreck, diving with sharks, culling Lionfish, or descending/ascending via a permanent mooring line like the ones found in the Keys.
I own a 7mm Bare suit that I use specifically for cage diving. It spends a lot of time hanging in my closet, but the days I’m using it tend to be rather interesting.

No

I only visit Homosassa & Crystal River in the winter. Surface conditions determine my decision as to wether or not to venture out. One caveat; I refuse to take my own boat out on most weekends, holidays, and of course during the lobster mini season during the warmer months due to heavy boat traffic. I’ll gladly head out almost any day during the cooler months as I’m much less likely to get run over or otherwise damaged or infuriated by my fellow man.

Today's water temp in S. Palm Beach County 74 deg. down 5 degrees since last week.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom