What kind of shark would make you get out of the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter once bubbled...
Any shark can get aggressive and a wise person will exit the water. Sharks that would cause me to exit just by being there are:

1. Oceanic Whitetip
2. Great White
Agreed - Oceanic Whitetips are not to be trusted either.
See USS Indianapolis for details.
Rick

tampascott once bubbled...

So do you keep the fish you've already shot, or dump them?
This year we've had three bullshark encounters with fish on the stringer or pole. The first was an extremely aggressive five-footer (Sharks 1, Candy 0). The second was a good viz encounter so we kept the fish (tied 1 and 1). Last week, Candy gave up a flounder although the shark did not get "up close and personal" (low viz situation).

Sharks 2, Stone and Candy 1.

The points about bad vis are good, but what makes me feel the most vulnerable is when I'm smack in the middle of a giant bait school. I've been on hunts where I can't seem to get out of the bait. Not only would a shark not see you if he decides to rip through, but you could also wind-up injured from cudas, a school of bonita, or even king mackeral (they've got some nasty choppers).

Normally, bait will hang above the ledge or structure. Decending through it is a cool experience. I've seen bait so thick I thought I was hitting the bottom momentarily. Then, you break through the bottom of it and you see you've got another 15 ft or so. Anyway, when I'm in the middle of it, I do what I can to get out of it. Shooing them away like a naughty dog doesn't work so well. :D

Hmmmmmm. Let me think... ANY WITH TEETH! Life's too short....Enough danger in the water already but that's just me. Sorry couldn't resist...Interesting thread.

Hmm, I would definitely WANT to end my dive if an oceanic whitetip showed up ( they are apparently referred to as "sailors nightmare" because they are in the habit of eating shipwreck victims (or so they say)). And also after reading this thread, if a bull shark happened to get a bit close. Problem is I would be more scared/ feal more vulnerable on the surface then under water. Any comments on that?

I have ZERO shark experience, but have watched and read enough about them to somewhat understand their behaviors... Sharks tend to attack from below, that is why you are more vulnerable at the surface, and that's why (in general) they are lighter colored on the bottom and darker on the top, for camouflage.

I would definately be the most scared just before exiting the water and not too sure I'd be able to maintain the recommended ascent rate under certain circumstances, let alone the 5 minute safety stop!

Diving at Cano Island, we'd backroll from the boat and as soon as the splash occurred, several bull sharks would come up from the bottom and swim figure 8s about 15' below us...they'd occassionally roll slightly to eyeball our fins. The panga driver kept assuring us that they were just 'friendly'...

I like sharks, and feel they usually do not pose much of a threat to divers, but this particular behavior was a bit unsettling.

After a couple of dives, I stopped waiting for my buddy at the surface and just dropped to the bottom asap. Seeing the bulls there I felt much more at ease with them.

At the surface, the thrashing sounds created at entry alerts the sharks that something may be injured or otherwise worth checking out. At depth, I think divers look less like prey and the noise from bubbles may deter the sharks from investigating closely.

The hammerheads I've encountered definitely avoided diver's bubbles.

hey thats a great idea!
Why don't we go into bussiness making shark-attack-when-surfacing-because-of-possible-shark-attack-proof wetsuits: Black ones with a white bit on the ass! If it works for them...

hmm, sounds pretty scary to me Mr.cyclon

What would you do if you encountered something like, say, an oceanic white tip on a dive?
Only thing I can think of is maybe tuck into the reef, huddle up as a group (if there is a group) or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom